Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SIG Sauer is bankrupt

Sports and law enforcement/military firearms manufacturer SIG Sauer is bankrupt. Production in Germany is to be discontinued, the Eckernförde plant will be closed

As reported by various media, today, June 4, 2020 SIG Sauer Managing Director Tim Castagne informed the employees and the Works Council of the SIG Sauer plant in Eckernförde about economic problems and a plant closure. Around 130 employees would be affected by the closure. We asked SIG Sauer about the reasons. You can read the answer here on all4shooters.com.

The message from SIG Sauer in full:

"The locational disadvantages in Germany for SIG Sauer do not economically allow for manufacturing of sports and LE/military firearms in the future.

Legislation is increasingly restricting the use of sports firearms.

When awarding public contracts, both the German police and the Bundeswehr prefer a few local producers. SIG Suer is systematically excluded from tenders due to its international orientation, most of its developments originating from the USA.

Nevertheless, the shareholders have made major financial contributions to the stabilization of the company in recent years and the company has implemented drastic cost-cutting measures.

This was intended to secure the traditional company and jobs in Germany.

In addition to the existing problems, there are the current effects of the Corona crisis, which place an additional considerable economic burden on the continuation of business operations in Eckernförde"

Today, Thursday, June 4, 2020, first the Works Council and then the workforce were informed about the economic situation".

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shoo...Hkm-u-ylzG6U0M

"Legislation is increasingly restricting the use of sports firearms."

This should serve as "a shot across the bow" for all western governments. Mess with that industry and kiss your jobs and industrial/commercial tax base good-bye.
    You'll make better progress if you get out of your own way.

Reads as if the International market sales was forced to maintain the operation in Germany (jobs, infrastructure, taxes) despite not getting a fair crack at European contracts.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

Aniest (06-05-2020)

Yeah so it looks like Sig Sauer Germany didn't have any military or police contracts any more due to their operations now mostly being in the US. Then companies like Germany started imposing hefty gun control measures which started killing the sport shooting market.

We've already seen this with companies like Black Creek Labs here in Canada....

Sad story from a good company that made good product.

Sig I can understand, what I can't understand is how Colt is in rough shape. How can you possibly manage a company so badly that you have 150 years of brand recognition, the US Army small arms contract, and a decade of great gun sales?

Truly insane that Colt managed to still have financial problems in those conditions, and I'd own a Sig AR before a Colt AR any day.

They even screwed up the Colt Python relaunch with multiple quality control problems, FFS.
    I have no signature block.

It won’t be long until people will have to make their own firearms.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    It won’t be long until people will have to make their own firearms.
    Everybody in our sport/hobby should do their part at restarting the economy by purchasing a new toy for their collection.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Aniest (06-05-2020), Rory McCanuck (06-05-2020), Swingerguy (06-05-2020)

A lathe and a milling machine?
    And as always, have a nice day!

11. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Kegcaissy

blacksmithden (06-05-2020), chrisc (06-06-2020), firemachine69 (06-05-2020), Rory McCanuck (06-05-2020), Stew (06-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Everybody in our sport/hobby should do their part at restarting the economy by purchasing a new toy for their collection.
    x2

I'm glad I was able to grab 2 from Tundra Supply over the winter before my lay off came down. I'd be in the market for another couple if I was still working.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    x2

I'm glad I was able to grab 2 from Tundra Supply over the winter before my lay off came down. I'd be in the market for another couple if I was still working.
    That reminds me, hey BSD! Is there some way we can call dibs on one of your first AR's if they come back as non-restricted? I feel as though it could happen and people will be climbing over each other to get one!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast