Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Doug, whenever suicides are brought up in the context that most firearm-related deaths are suicides, you should throw the suicide number right back at them with the number of overall suicides.
    Poisoning and hanging are both far more prevalent in both genders.
    Mark Towhey: 44% of suicides are by hanging, 25% are by poison, 16% are by firearms. Are you also taking a position against "rope"?

Dr. Allan Drummond: That's an odd kind of question.

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

firemachine69 (05-16-2019), Waterloomike (05-14-2019)

Soooo...as firearms controls become stricter, fewer people apparently kill themselves with a gun, but...hangings have increased to the point that there are 3 or more hangings per shooting suicide. Yet, when firearms controls were less stifling, the reverse was not true (ie the disparity was not nearly as great).
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By chuckbuster

Billythreefeathers (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Regardless of this idiot's lies and manipulation, good on you for keeping up the good fight Doug.
    Well as I said in another thread, I'm opinionated (and probably a loud mouth) lol.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    If I remember correctly, your website lists 98 out of 104 senators.
    Beyak's still rejects, from below.
    Yes that's correct. There weren't 104 when I started and I never updated it because I wanted to keep the total number of addressees under 100 as some email services cap it at that. Those 6 I'm missing are Liberals anyway lol.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Doug, whenever suicides are brought up in the context that most firearm-related deaths are suicides, you should throw the suicide number right back at them with the number of overall suicides.
    It's not a bad idea but it will only "work" with certain audiences, as in those who aren't partisan but just ignorant. The Pratte's of the world don't care how little of the overall are firearms as they say their aim is to reduce that and the easiest way is to reduce access. Therefore to them they can save hundreds of lives every year just by C-71 alone. That's why I focused on substitution to illustrate that they won't be saving any even if there were no guns around at all.

The past few days I've sent 4 emails to 104 senators (BCC).
    A 1 page, a 2 page, a 3 page, and a 6 page.
    I got two thank-you's, one from Plett's assistant (clearly on our side), and one from 2016 justin appointee Diane Griffin.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 05-14-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Having attended and participated in picking up the pieces of over 20 unfortunates who committed suicide by jumping in front of trains during my career as a line officer, maybe the same people who want to ban guns in a misguided effort to reduce suicides will want to ban trains too.

A wisened coroner told me when I asked him why people choose trains, he said those who jump and those who use firearms to end it all are completely serious about ending their lives. His opinion was those who use poison or hang themselves or slash their wrists may still harbour small hope of being found and saved. His thoughts, not mine, but I often thought of his words and took from him those who want to do the act of suicide will always find a way unless they get the mental help they so desperately need.
    Last edited by GTW; 05-14-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Soooo...as firearms controls become stricter, fewer people apparently kill themselves with a gun, but...hangings have increased to the point that there are 3 or more hangings per shooting suicide. Yet, when firearms controls were less stifling, the reverse was not true (ie the disparity was not nearly as great).
    more children drown in back yard pools in one summer then have been shot to death,,, OK I don't know this for sure,, no numbers like RangeBob would have,,, but I'm sure we save more lives by making life jacket mandator for back yard pools
    CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    more children drown in back yard pools in one summer then have been shot to death,,, OK I don't know this for sure,, no numbers like RangeBob would have,,, but I'm sure we save more lives by making life jacket mandatory for back yard pools
    [sarcasm] I find it pretentious that you assume that I might have stats like that handy. [/sarcasm]

select ref_date, sum(value)
    from CansimDeathsByCauseXX
    where (lower(CauseOfDeath) like '%drown%pool%')
    and age_group in ('Under 1 year', '1 to 4 years', '5 to 9 years', '10 to 14 years')
    and geo = 'Canada'
    and sex = 'Both sexes'
    group by ref_date
    order by ref_date;

REF_DATE SUM(VALUE)
    ---------- ----------
    2000 7
    2001 8
    2002 14
    2003 11
    2004 6
    2005 16
    2006 12
    2007 8
    2008 9
    2009 9
    2010 17
    2011 6
    2012 15
    2013 11
    2014 2
    2015 8
    2016 6
    Total 165

Drowning goes up when you include other places you can drown, including bathtubs etc.

select ref_date, sum(value)
    from cansimdeathsbycausexx
    where (lower(causeofdeath) like '%firearm%')
    and age_group in ('Under 1 year', '1 to 4 years', '5 to 9 years', '10 to 14 years')
    and geo = 'Canada'
    and sex = 'Both sexes'
    group by ref_date
    order by ref_date;

REF_DATE SUM(VALUE)
    ---------- ----------
    2000 12
    2001 5
    2002 14
    2003 7
    2004 8
    2005 3