Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

School me on EOTECH.

Hello,

Before I got scared on Trudeau's bans, I was convinced that I'd only ever have one AR, so I bought the best rifle and optic for me.

My AR is a DD Mk18 (10.3") and I have a Trijicon TA-11 on it, which is the slightly longer/bigger one than the TA31 (US Army), but offers way more forgiving eye relief.

That's now changed that I've bought another AR, the Sig M400 Tread (16", CFO transfer pending).

That has me thinking about transferring the magnified ACOG over to the 16" barrel, and going with a non-magnified lighter red dot on my 10.3" barrel that I have now.

I've had some budget red dots before:
    - TRS25, loved it and it's on my son's Savage Rascal. He loves it too, so it's not moving.
    - Vortex Spitfire 1X. Was happy with it, but sold it to get the 3X.
    - Vortex Spitfire 3X. Absolutely terrible, practically not magnified at all, verified by multiple friends and the people behind the counter at Cabela's. It was 1.2X, tops.

So my goal is to get something decent, but stay light. A quick look at EOTECH's website shows the "XPS2" model as the smallest/lightest/cheapest, and it comes in a "0" with just the dot in the middle, or a "2" with a second dot for longer shots (presumably 200-400 or something), so I guess I'd get the 2 unless a 0 came up for a great price.

The goal is to stay as light as possible, and I may just go with irons until a good deal comes up because I'm in no rush.

Can anyone who knows red dots weigh in with some thoughts/advice, please? Much appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 05-14-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    I have no signature block.

Maybe have a look at cmore red dots too. I have a tactical model which has a built in rear sight as well, and I think that'd be dandy on a short barrel ar.
    I really liked it on the 16" ar I used to have.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

3. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Petamocto (05-14-2019)

Added: If anyone has a decent set of irons you're looking to get rid of, please send me a PM. Daniel Defense or Magpul MBUS-like stuff, thank you. Likely all I can afford for now until the right red dot goes on sale.

I have an xps2-2 with the dual dots. But not sure what I can tell you that you couldn’t quickly google yourself though. Also the dots are 50/200yards due to arc and 500 for the lower dot iirc. And the exps models are 1/3 cowitness.
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Do you have astigmatism? If so, make sure to look through an eotech prior to purchase.
    Remember High River!

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Neil Burke

mrg372k9 (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    Do you have astigmatism? If so, make sure to look through an eotech prior to purchase.
    I don't think so (?)

My Burris TRS25 and Vortex Spitfires didn't seem to give me any trouble and I could always hit what I was aiming at.

Does EOTECH use a different type of dot that's more susceptible to being screwed up by eye problems?

EOTECH had a problem a couple years back with it losing zero after large temperature changes.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Petamocto (05-14-2019)

I have an EXPS2-0 and absolutely love it. I bought it because of all the "red dots" out there it is one of only a couple that truly have near zero parallax. But that circle with the 1 MOA dot in the middle is amazing. Circle up close for quick centre mass shots, dot for precision, both eyes open. And it works!

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/201...ight-parallax/
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

lone-wolf (05-14-2019), Petamocto (05-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    EOTECH had a problem a couple years back with it losing zero after large temperature changes.
    Long since remedied. Don't buy an older used one though lol
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Don't buy an older used one though lol
    A couple years back, when the Zero Cold issue was just coming out, I almost bought an older used one.
    Neither me (buyer) nor seller felt too bad about cancelling the deal, since I gave the seller a link to the EOTech rebate page which turned out to be more $ than the price he was going to sell it to me for.
    I ended up with an Aimpoint instead.

15. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Doug_M (05-14-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast