Thread: New IMR powders

New IMR powders

I see IMR is at it again with a couple of slow powders for the large mag cases. IMR 7977 and 8133 are supposed to be good for the large cases and are not sensitive to temp changes. I will have to give them a try in my 264 win mag as my favorite powder H870 is no longer available. I have a good supply of H870 but a guy can use a pound in a hurry. Any users of these new powders?

Still working through my stash from the last shortage.

I have yet to find one that works for me - on a variety of cartridges

I haven't used any of the new Enduron powders, but I have heard good things.
    I'm tempted to investigate, but I haven't heard 'Use the new IMR XXXX, it'll make you want to throw away your 4350.'
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

Camo tung (05-19-2019)

I was thinking of trying the 7977 a year and a half ago when it was introduced for my magnum (.338LM). I never took that plunge though because I got a great deal on three 8lb packs of the Retumbo ($270 each).

But the 7977 does sound intriguing.

Ya I don't need to buy more powder for a long time, stocked up when WSS went tits up.

I’ve been playing with all these new powders ...the extreme from Hodgkin and the new imr’s....in my 308..semi the imr’s...put out more velocity than the hodgdon ...from what I found ...and measured with ..magneto speed as for accuracy in my gun ...well still beating my head on the wall with this .....
    Davide

I've only used 4166 in 223. Seemed no worse than anything else I've tried. I usually use CFE223 for no reason, and I bought some bulk 4064 I'm working through.

I was going to try RL16 (another of these new generation powders), but read that it was bad for carbon fouling in the throat of the 6.5, with some unsubstantiated speculation that the de-coppering agent might have something to do with it.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets