Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cabelas Exclusive Savage 12FV

I saw that Cabelas has the Savage 12FV on sale for $449 so I ordered one in 308. A year or so ago I bought a Savage 10T from Cabelas but I was not happy with the condition of the inside of the barrel so I got rid of it. I rolled the dice and the 12FV arrived on Friday, I threw on a Nikon 5-20x44, and here are my thoughts on it.

Lets start with the stock. It is a very flimsy plastic stock. My original plan was to try to stiffen it up but I don't think I'll even bother. It will be replaced.

As far as the rest of the rifle it is your typical Savage. Not the prettiest, but functional. It has the slotted barrel nut not the smooth one. The bolt is jeweled, which is a nice touch. The bolt handle is over sized making grabbing it and cycling the action easy. The finish of the bolt handle reminds me of something you would have seen from Soviet era Russia. It is quite rough. It does have the Accu trigger which I am quite impressed with. Nice, light and crisp.

So how does it shoot? All I had for 308 ammo was some Winchester Super X with 150 gr soft points. Once sighted in the gun shot right around 1" groups. Considering the cheap ammo and my general lack of talent, I am happy and think this rifle is a keeper. I will be getting a different stock for it eventually and working up a hand load for it. For $449 I don't think you can go wrong. If you have been thinking about one of these, I say go for it.

2. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By 686 Shooter

awndray (05-29-2019), Gunexpert007 (05-28-2019), Hidyn (05-30-2019), Mark-II (05-26-2019), Rory McCanuck (05-26-2019), Swingerguy (09-13-2019)