Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cabelas Exclusive Savage 12FV

I saw that Cabelas has the Savage 12FV on sale for $449 so I ordered one in 308. A year or so ago I bought a Savage 10T from Cabelas but I was not happy with the condition of the inside of the barrel so I got rid of it. I rolled the dice and the 12FV arrived on Friday, I threw on a Nikon 5-20x44, and here are my thoughts on it.

Lets start with the stock. It is a very flimsy plastic stock. My original plan was to try to stiffen it up but I don't think I'll even bother. It will be replaced.

As far as the rest of the rifle it is your typical Savage. Not the prettiest, but functional. It has the slotted barrel nut not the smooth one. The bolt is jeweled, which is a nice touch. The bolt handle is over sized making grabbing it and cycling the action easy. The finish of the bolt handle reminds me of something you would have seen from Soviet era Russia. It is quite rough. It does have the Accu trigger which I am quite impressed with. Nice, light and crisp.

So how does it shoot? All I had for 308 ammo was some Winchester Super X with 150 gr soft points. Once sighted in the gun shot right around 1" groups. Considering the cheap ammo and my general lack of talent, I am happy and think this rifle is a keeper. I will be getting a different stock for it eventually and working up a hand load for it. For $449 I don't think you can go wrong. If you have been thinking about one of these, I say go for it.

2. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By 686 Shooter

awndray (05-29-2019), Gunexpert007 (05-28-2019), Hidyn (05-30-2019), Mark-II (05-26-2019), Rory McCanuck (05-26-2019), Swingerguy (09-13-2019)

It's really hard to see the difference between that and an Axis other than the jewelled bolt.
    Hmm, maybe the Axis' nut is smooth? I'm not to go dig it out right now to check.
    Your bolt handle is nicer too, the Axis has a girder type casting.
    Obviously they don't have to be fancy or expensive to really shoot well though.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Biggest difference, I think, is the long heavy barrel.

I almost bought one in 6.5 when there was a rebate a few weeks ago, but reminded myself that I don't have the time to shoot the stuff that I have.

There's a YouTube channel with a series on improving that rifle.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I picked one up in 6.5 creedmoor .... 449.00 can't go wrong!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By hawk-i

Camo tung (05-28-2019)

This is the same rifle I’ve been shooting in 6.5. It’s more accurate than I am, that’s for sure, managed to get a couple groups close to 1/2” at 100Y with Federal Match. Around 1” at 200Y, which adds up. I found the stock to be more rigid than many of the budget rifles, probably due to the beaver tail forend, but there’s still some flex, I don’t think I’d put a bipod on it as is, on a rest it’s fine. With a 20 MOA rail mounted, the magazine isn’t the easiest to load, feeds well though. Appearance wise....it’s a Savage, fit and finish looks like....a Savage. Can’t beat the price. You can’t even buy a barrelled action for that.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    This is the same rifle I’ve been shooting in 6.5. It’s more accurate than I am, that’s for sure, managed to get a couple groups close to 1/2” at 100Y with Federal Match. Around 1” at 200Y, which adds up. I found the stock to be more rigid than many of the budget rifles, probably due to the beaver tail forend, but there’s still some flex, I don’t think I’d put a bipod on it as is, on a rest it’s fine. With a 20 MOA rail mounted, the magazine isn’t the easiest to load, feeds well though. Appearance wise....it’s a Savage, fit and finish looks like....a Savage. Can’t beat the price. You can’t even buy a barrelled action for that.
    You can hardly even find a bare action for that. It's a great price point.

I think it needs a ESS chassis though!

Great. Tell us after the sale.
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

Lol. Seems these go on sale every few months for under $500. I think I paid $489 back around Christmas.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Had mine (6.5) out yesterday for the first time...scope pooched on me but looks like accuracy at 100 meters is going to be close to 1/2 to 3/4's Moa.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast