RobertMcC

Cold bluing, woes...

I stripped ( fine steel wool ) to bare metal., de grease and tried twice. To cold blue a cooey receiver and every time. The same areas, I get redish rust blotches.

Why is that? Short of taking a wire wheel to it. Why does this keep occurring?

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    What cold blue are you using? Does the blemish only happen on certain spots while the rest of the part takes the blueing? What year is the Cooey. After Winchester purchased the Cooey plant, they did what many big corporations do, cut costs for bigger profits They started using substandard metals which might account for your splotchy bluing.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    What cold blue are you using? Does the blemish only happen on certain spots while the rest of the part takes the blueing? What year is the Cooey. After Winchester purchased the Cooey plant, they did what many big corporations do, cut costs for bigger profits They started using substandard metals which might account for your splotchy bluing.
    My local gas station had G96 Gun Blue Liquid. Figure I try that vs the Outers that CT sells. Seems to be only blotchy on the top. Do like it much better than the outers, I had with no success.

Now when I used the steel wool I couldn't see these pits. Everything looked and felt smooth.

I suspect Its a Canada made, pre Winchester Cooey.. I don't think Winchester made the Ranger for Eaton's. Plus still says .22 Cal.

Hey Rob, I’ve ordered this on line and used 1 spray can to restore two old firearms. It worked well and seems to be holding up. Both guns were old break action Cooeys.
    https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes....nt=33527890121
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

How deep are the pits?
    Can you feel them if you jam your thumbnail into them?
    A buffing wheel might smooth them out enough to make them less noticeable.

Hmm, if you steel wooled it smooth, that means there is likely rust blooms at the bottom of the pits.
    Would they take the blueing differently? I bet they do.
    Maybe a soak in vinegar to get the rust out of the bottom of the pits would work?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    How deep are the pits?
    Can you feel them if you jam your thumbnail into them?
    A buffing wheel might smooth them out enough to make them less noticeable.

Hmm, if you steel wooled it smooth, that means there is likely rust blooms at the bottom of the pits.
    Would they take the blueing differently? I bet they do.
    Maybe a soak in vinegar to get the rust out of the bottom of the pits would work?
    Well when I used the steel wool, I couldn't feel anything, with my fingers. Guess was under the pits.

Guess I'm going to need to vinegar, and wire wheel it.

I used evaporust instead of vinegar.
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Govít couldnít make sense if you gave them a recipe.

Bladesmith
    I find it's hard to get a large piece even. One of the things I do is scrub with steel wool and hot running water. Are you wearing rubber gloves? Any contamination of any kind will screw it up. Another trick is to apply several coats.

This stuff will take all the hard work out of removing the existing finish. Won't remove the pitting mind you. https://iosso.com/clean/products/quickstrip/

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

All Cooeys are Canadian made. Not that it matters.
    Cold bluing is really not made for large areas. It's made for touch ups. However, I'm wondering if there may have been a previous attempt using a different de-greaser. Something like dish soap that leaves a film. Very much a WHAG.
    Try a wash with baking soda and warm water, then Varsol, then the gel type of cold bluing. The gel can be left on a bit longer.
    Mind you, sometimes it's just the steel. Zinc based Parkerizing produces shades of grey depending on the steel it goes on.
    A buffing wheel will polish, but won't do much of anything to the pitting.