A few "dumb" questions about stripped kits

With the pending C-71 axe looming over our heads I decided mayby it was time to add some friends to my only AR as I have always wanted one in 308. Today I was lucky enough to find some in stock stripped lowers and striped uppers. As I've always wanted to get into "smithing" I decided now was the time and purchased 4 stripped lowers and 4 stripped upper kits!! I do have a dumb question tough but I am pretty much sure I know the answer.

Can I build the AR kits to whatever caliber I want (.308) depending on what bolt/barrel I purchase to go with the kit?

Also, where do I go now to get parts?

Pretty much any calibre, yes, but I don't think you can build a 308win ar15 if that's what you were thinking.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

With an Ar 10 you can do 308. Not an ar15. 300 blackout is what youd need to build If you want a 30 cal ar15

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

The quick rule of thumb is the mag well on the lower determines the overall length of round that it can accept. The AR-15 is shorter but not limited to small diameter calibers.

AR-10 are a bit of dogs breakfast as there are several manufacture standards so all lowers don't accept all uppers,in some cases even within the same brand.

Thanks for all the replies....I was looking for an AR in 308 but will still have LOTS of fun now building 2 in 556 and 2 in 300...why not.

So, where do I go to get the rest of the parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Grizz

lone-wolf (05-31-2019)

There is a a wide range of calibers that will fit the AR-15 frame but for the most part barrels/bolts being available is the most limiting factor.

There are a number of YouTube and other sites with build videos and lists. I would watch the videos to get a general idea and steps involved.

Create a list of the parts, now comes the part of deciding brand,model and brand of each part you want. If your not in a rush make a list of the dealers carrying the part and price then wait for a sale.

While you can buy individual components, a number of parts packages exists(IE lower parts kit aka LPK ).

As far as tools go, it's an excuse to buy more but you don't need all the specialty tools. While they do make things a bit easier and a bit quicker

Honestly in my build I just decided what I wanted and hung around till the parts go on sale. I already had a factory complete rifle to use in the mean time.
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Grizz,

You’re not just limited to 5.56 or 300 blackout. You can also so 7.62x39 or even Beowulf.

Although it pains me to say this because of my signature block, Wolverine has a 50 Beowulf full upper and it’s the only one for sale in Canada that I’m aware of.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Grizz,

You’re not just limited to 5.56 or 300 blackout. You can also so 7.62x39 or even Beowulf.

Although it pains me to say this because of my signature block, Wolverine has a 50 Beowulf full upper and it’s the only one for sale in Canada that I’m aware of.
    You can also go 9 mm too; there are bolts, buffers, barrels and magwell adaptors.