Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GoldenRod or Actual Dehumidifier?

What do you all run? My safes are in a heated room but bolted down to a concrete basement floor. I don't think I have an issue but rather be proactive than reactive.... I have desiccant packs in them now. The GoldenRod if I read correctly is a heating element versus the selection of dehumidifier's out there. What would or what do y'all have in your safes for control?

Have used a Golden Rod in my Browning safe since 2001. It has worked perfectly and kept the humidity at a virtually non-existent level. Have augmented it with a rechargeable Remington desiccant pack (the type you plug in a wall outlet to dry the dessicant) but it takes about two months for the beads to change from pink (dry) to blue (full of humidity), so it’s not really required. I used to worry about potential drying out the wood stocks/foreends, but have not seen any signs of cracking twisting or warping. So, in a nutshell, a goldenrod is what you’re looking for IMHO.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

What temperature does the goldenrod bring the safe to? My basement hits 80% humidity starting about now for a couple months, but it's not that bad most of the year. I was wondering about keeping the tools a little warmer so I don't have so much rust accumulating.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    What temperature does the goldenrod bring the safe to? My basement hits 80% humidity starting about now for a couple months, but it's not that bad most of the year. I was wondering about keeping the tools a little warmer so I don't have so much rust accumulating.
    My pistol cabinet has a golden rod. But my rifle cabinet has a 40W light bulb. I have a un finished basement with the sump and the well so the humidity is lots.

In my safe, (fire resistant) the golden rod keeps it about 74 deg F/ 23 deg C. I imagine a Stackon type would be less thermal efficient. I like the idea of a 40 watt incandescent bulb as auxiliary heat.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    In my safe, (fire resistant) the golden rod keeps it about 74 deg F/ 23 deg C. I imagine a Stackon type would be less thermal efficient. I like the idea of a 40 watt incandescent bulb as auxiliary heat.
    Yeah what I got is a stack on. Downside with the light bulb is. I go thru light bulbs alot, and on my 2nd socket. The first one crumbled from the heat. So I think this year I might get a larger, insulated style cabinet. Maybe ask for one Xmas/Bday.

A quick squint at a psychrometric chart seems to say that going from 65 to 75 F brings 75% humidity down to a manageable 55% or so.

I bought mine when I was working long days away from home and had two young sons who, while taught gun safety from early age, were naturally curious and had friends. So I bought what I thought at time a theft proof impenetrable fire proof safe. I thought it was way better than a Stackon for security and paid a good sum of money for it. I really thought the multiple locking bars on the door would foil any thief and the thicker walls were a deterrent.

Fast forward about a decade and saw a video of a guy with a cordless makita angle grinder. They don’t go through the door, they go through the sides. It took him roughly 3 minutes to break into a Stackon, and about 15 mins to break into a safe identical to mine. So much for more $$ means a safer safe So if I had to do it again I’d save the money on the safe and go Stackon or some modular build on site model like one from these guys: https://zanottiarmor.com/

Then I’d use the money saved on more guns!

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    ... Have augmented it with a rechargeable Remington desiccant pack (the type you plug in a wall outlet to dry the dessicant) but it takes about two months for the beads to change from pink (dry) to blue (full of humidity), so itís not really required. ...
    I think that actually proves that the desiccant is required, otherwise it would stay pink (dry).

I use both, a heater rod and a 1 liter perforated can of reusable desiccant. Need to dry out the desiccant once a year.

How humid does your basement get? In a heated room you shouldn't need either unless your basement is damp. Had my stuff on a wooden gun rack under a curtain in a basement for years with no fuss.
    Being bolted to the floor won't make any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast