Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steel Match is dead. Long live....?

I have a couple .223 that have a liking for Hornady Steel Match 55gr.

Now that it’s out of production and stocks are drying up, is there anything out there that compares to it for price and quality?

I might have to resume reloading if not...
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

So I should hold on to my box of .308 Steel match as a collectors item?
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

I ended up with a ammo can of hornady american gunner 55gr hp match.
    Compares in price? I don't know. I see it out of stock on wolverine for $190/247rnds.
    Seems good quality, I plan on shooting it this weekend at a club 300, 500, and 600yrd match.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I was wondering how Hornady Frontier compared. Hornady has nothing to recommend on their site, and their own link to Steel Match is 404. They abandoned it quickly enough...

I should resume reloading, I know, but it was nice to go out and see MOA performance out of my Tikka without having to do up a hundred or more test loads over a period of 2 or 3 sessions before I nail down a recipe.

(I think I've been chasing my tail with semi-autos in that regard - maybe bolt guns will be easier to reach satisfaction with)
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    (I think I've been chasing my tail with semi-autos in that regard - maybe bolt guns will be easier to reach satisfaction with)
    You're not the only one.
    I'd like to see what the above mentioned stuff I have will do in the mini & 180c
    In a rem700 sps it was hitting the v bull regularly at 300yrds for a fairly new shooter I lent a couple dozen rounds to.

Aptet aut mori

Any 55 grain ammo giving 3,240 fps should do. Hornady Varmint Express does that using a V-Max. So does their American Gunner brand. It uses an actual 'Match' grade bullet too. Hornady 'Match' bullets are good. Use 'em out of my '03A4 and get one hole groups when I do my part.
    "...resume reloading..." No factory ammo will be as good as ammo tailored to your rifle. There's no mention anywhere that the Steel Match bullet was a match grade bullet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    There's no mention anywhere that the Steel Match bullet was a match grade bullet either.
    I've got the box nearby. The .308 Steel Match uses a 155gr HPBT Match pill. I would figure the .223 would be a 53 or 55gr HPBT pill.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Hey, all I know is that it shot better and more consistently than anything in its price range

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    I've got the box nearby. The .308 Steel Match uses a 155gr HPBT Match pill. I would figure the .223 would be a 53 or 55gr HPBT pill.
    My half box has a 75gr bthp, not many 'non match' bullets in that weight but maybe justice is right.

Aptet aut mori

Google says it's a 75gr

Cabelas still have them listed
    308 155gr hpbt
    223 55gr hp
    223 75gr hpbt
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast