HK P30L 40S&W recoil guide rod/assembly.

Well this is fun, my recoil guide rod for my HK P30L 40S&W sheared at the hook tonight. Anyone know where to source a new one?
    Remember High River!

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    You can try Western Gun Parts here in Edmonton. Can you post a pic of the offending part (now part"s") ?
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

check with the manufacture or local rep.

they should know if there is a source near you. or put you in touch with someone who should know.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    check with the manufacture or local rep.

they should know if there is a source near you. or put you in touch with someone who should know.
    Yeah, I've messaged the LGS and he'll likely touch base with me tomorrow.

Den: This is the part: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-P...Rod-p16654.htm
    It's the hook that retains and tilts the barrel under recoil that sheared off.

I'll see if I can figure out how to upload a picture again after a few years lol. At any rate I'm damn glad I listened to the "that didn't seem right" voice in my head and didn't pull the trigger again.
    Remember High River!

Sheared Part.jpg

The shorter cartridge on the right is the one that was in the chamber after the weird stroke due to the shearing of the guide rod. The cartridge on the left is a normal 40 S&W. There is ~0.205" of setback. No way in hell that would have been a safe pressure.

Before anyone asks or dumps on HK, this is not a new gun. The part failed at round 16502. Should the rod have survived more? Probably. Does it owe me anything? No.
    Last edited by Neil Burke; 07-09-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added setback amount.
    Remember High River!

I wouldn't suggest dumping it.

Just an inquiry. Some stuff is covered under warranty. Some stuff the manufacturer will cover beyond warranty for good faith. Great if they help you out. At the very least they should be able to help you resolve it by pointing you in the right direction. The party that have imported the part.

Ask nicely and accept whatever help given. No one owes you anything even when it is under warranty.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    I wouldn't suggest dumping it.

Just an inquiry. Some stuff is covered under warranty. Some stuff the manufacturer will cover beyond warranty for good faith. Great if they help you out. At the very least they should be able to help you resolve it by pointing you in the right direction. The party that have imported the part.

Ask nicely and accept whatever help given. No one owes you anything even when it is under warranty.
    Last line sums everything up nicely. It doesn't seem like it's that expensive of a part. Nor would it be difficult to install. (Swap over the buffer, spring and retaining washer and re-assemble as normal.) The trick will be to find one in Canada. We'll see in what direction Select and/or North Sylva are able to point me.
    Remember High River!

Well, progress. Couldn't find a complete recoil assembly on the quick so got a recoil guide rod (the part that broke) and a new spring (figured may as well while I was at it). Vice grips had to be deployed but I was able to swap the two parts over (retaining washer and buffer). Slide is cleaned and in one piece. Now I just need to deal with the filth that is my frame... Tomorrow's problem. Should be able to function test tomorrow night and hopefully have time for a quick range trip on Thursday for a live fire test.

As annoying as a part breaking has been, it's been a pretty cool learning experience on how the pistol works. Also, probably a good thing that I got the replacement spring. The new one was a good half inch to an inch longer uncompressed. The old one probably had plenty of life on it since it was still pretty hard to compress but the using the new one was a little more piece of mind given how much of a PITA it was to remove the washer.
    Remember High River!

Didn't take to long to get parts, some parts I have been told would be 6 months to year for delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Didn't take to long to get parts, some parts I have been told would be 6 months to year for delivery.
    Yeah, NS was warning me it could be about that. I got lucky and found a guy who had the spring and guide rod kicking around. Not the full assembly though. I highly recommend buying the assembly if it's available to save on the aggravation to get the washer off.
    Remember High River!