Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New trap gun

I don't think there's a knockdown pin, but that is assuming I'd know it if I saw it...

20190710_131528.jpg

And as far as what year it is, I don't know.
    I googled it, and am not any wiser.
    The serial number on the receiver starts with an "M" and ends with a "v"
    And it doesn't have choke tubes, it says "mod trap", so I don't know if that's the choke description or a marking to say that it's a trap model. (I assume the former.)
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Are they like the 870 where there is a double number/digit on the barrel that translates into a year of manufacture? Must admit I've never looked at mine.

I bought a used 11-87 for my first real clays gun (not counting the SXP Trap, which was more a family gun). Cabelas had 2 lefties in the Library. I picked the fancier one first, then noticed that the rib was separated in 3 spots, so I exchanged it for the plain one.

Heavy gun, and a good shooter.

I did replace the recoil spring, but I tend to replace action springs on used guns out of habit, and picked up a few spare O-rings.

It's certainly a dead simple gas system, but it runs like a champ which is probably why Remington hasn't been able to kill it off, despite its replacement having been around some years.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Nice 1100, I shot one for a number of years. It was a 3" that I used for geese, till I let a BIL talk me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I don't think there's a knockdown pin, but that is assuming I'd know it if I saw it...

20190710_131528.jpg

And as far as what year it is, I don't know.
    I googled it, and am not any wiser.
    The serial number on the receiver starts with an "M" and ends with a "v"
    And it doesn't have choke tubes, it says "mod trap", so I don't know if that's the choke description or a marking to say that it's a trap model. (I assume the former.)
    Zooming in on your picture I can see you had a knock down pin. Look on the side of the barrel extension visible through the ejection port. You’ll see a small round spot. I cant tell if it has Ben ground down or removed.

The Mod Trap is a constriction more for 16 yard targets. I couldn’t tell you how many thou, I’d hit the patttern board and ask the guys over on TS.com. If you centered how was the hit? Dust or just chips?
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

There is a hole there, so I'm going to say the pin was removed. Do they press in, or thread in?
    When I got a good hit, they really exploded in a satisfying way, but i guess it wasn't as dusty as when someone else really nailed one.

Quick google search turned this up

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads...barrel.246147/

Looks like it’s the same constriction as a mod barrel but with a rib set up for trap. It not going to vaporize a 16 yard target like a full choke but the center diameter of your pattern’s core will be larger. I guess you might gain the odd extra bird. That is not a common barrel.

Someone pulled out the knock down pin. It was pressed in. You may find that it will fling that hull a lot further than you want. If so then either invest in a hull catcher or get another pin. Some people get really upset if a hull from the shooter on the left hits them or their gun
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Dewey Cox (07-11-2019)

I think I'll have to find a catcher.

Thanks for the detective work R&R Rancher.
    I appreciate it.

T&S makes a clip on shell catcher. I much preferred the piano wife one I had installed back when

Works great but requires a gunsmith who knows what he’s doing to install one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I think the previous owner was riding on the back of a motorcycle when he cut the stock down.
    Some fitting may be required...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12