Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squib rod

Squib rod

Well I unfortunately experienced my first squib. Made no noticeable different sound. 30cal 110grn FMJ, Lucky the bullet is only 1/2" from the chamber.

Closest I can get to the diameter of rod is 1/4", which is 6.35mm, would that damage the rifling?
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

I have brass rods for pistol, and for my undersized one I wrapped one end with duct tape to bulk it up for a better fit in the 9mm barrels

For rifle I would probably do the same along with drilling a dimple in the end of the rod to capture the nose of the bullet. I'd be most concerned with the rod getting driven between bullet and barrel.

But that's just me and it might be a horrible idea. I'm known for those, sometimes
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

couple wraps of vinyl tape along the length of it to center it wouldn't hurt

4. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Rory McCanuck (07-11-2019)

I think it might be time to pull the rest of the 100s of 30 carbine I got. 58-61 old South American stuff. Its old, get hand full of FTF per outing. And now the squib.

1/4" brass rod and a plastic mallet. Carbine in padded vise, rod down barrel, apply mallet. Brass is way softer than the softest steel.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

Neil Burke (07-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    1/4" brass rod and a plastic mallet. Carbine in padded vise, rod down barrel, apply mallet. Brass is way softer than the softest steel.
    This. Brass, aluminum if you've got no brass. Center it if you feel like it. you're only <1/16 on the dia off. it won't go between the point and barrel wall.
    Remember High River!

Why are people so deadset against wood dowels? I understand they can leave little splinters of wood but wouldn't a quick couple of runs with patches fix that? Just wondering.

This month I have seen someone's bullet break paper on the target, but not make it through the weather proof cardboard backer.
    A week or two later, he had a squib we all(including the shooter) recognized by the change of noise
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    Why are people so deadset against wood dowels? I understand they can leave little splinters of wood but wouldn't a quick couple of runs with patches fix that? Just wondering.
    I think because when dowels break, they normally break on an angle. That will cause it to try and wedge itself between the broken piece and the barrel. Then stuck trying to remove the dowel. That's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    This month I have seen someone's bullet break paper on the target, but not make it through the weather proof cardboard backer.
    A week or two later, he had a squib we all(including the shooter) recognized by the change of noise
    That's the thing, I was only wearing my electronic ear muffs and not double plugs. The batteries are dead so really not that muffling. But I did not hear any change in sound. It sounded like a normal 30 carbine crack, minus it didn't fully eject. Which happened a fair bit with this batch of ammo. So I carried on like normal. But when the next round wouldn't chamber, I gave it a smack, nadda. Tried another, same thing. Then I went into the club house and got cleaning rod on the shelf. dropped it down and didn't go thru, gave it a couple slaps with my palm, and nadda. So that's when I realized I had a squib. So if it indeed chambered. The gun would have blown up. This is the closest to a KB I ever got.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    Because wood splits and then you drive the two shards into each other and wedge them hopelessly into the bore and thats the end of that ..... next step, new barrel.

DO NOT use wood dowel to try and drive a stuck projectile out of a barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast