Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Neither the Match King or ELD Match are suitable for hunting anything but varmints. They're both made for targets only as they don't expand.
    The SST is a current version of an old bullet design. The polymer tip was first used by CIL in the late 60's and was called a Sabre Tip. Same design with a bronze tip was done by Remington. A BT is one of 'em too. All of 'em work just like any SP bullet on game.
    Kind of odd that Alliant's site has no 6.5 Creedmoor data with RL 17. RL 16 only. RL17 sits at the slow end of the 4350 powders. However, that doesn't mean you should be using data for those powders. There might be proper data in either Alliant's or Hornady's manual. Or a phone call or e-mail should get it from either.
    Yeah, the ELD and SMK loads were intended as target loads. The only hunting load I tried was with the SST. In terms of load data, I did some online reading as to suitable, preferred, and, recommended powders for the Creedmoor. I also referred to loaddata.com for suitable data and found loads, some not listed elsewhere, for the components I had rounded up.
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I had 2 pass through with broadside shots, one at ~100yrds and one at maybe 30yrds, neither deer went far, maybe 50yrds but they were embarrassingly small deer too.
    The up close one had an exit hole I could stick like 3 fingers through while I was gutting it.(definitely nosler ones that time)
    Easy blood trails on them both to follow.
    180gr out of a 308win.

You seen two different behaviour but you've hit two different areas of the deer. Would that not be expected? Shedding velocity and mass hitting a leg bone first might of resulted in a smaller exit. The first being allowed to expand in flesh vs expanding on bone on the second deer.
    I'm just spit balling what makes sense in my limited experience, feel free to set me straight.
    I have no firm conclusions on either bullet, just anecdotal evidence from my own deer. I would have expected the BT's to expand violently like your examples and produce major internal carnage, but both held together to exit the deer via an unexpectedly small exit wound after contacting bone. I would also expect that all BT's would be manufactured to produce similar results regardless of caliber. I can only guess that because I was so close in each example that the velocity at impact was above the ideal velocity for the round to perform as designed? The PSP with more frontal area has performed as expected, leaving a fully peeled back copper jacket. Only way to be sure is collect more data...come on hunting season!
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

chuckbuster (07-15-2019), lone-wolf (07-15-2019)

I have all sorts of experience testing with them, but unfortunately no first hand experience of ballistics on meat.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I have all sorts of experience testing with them, but unfortunately no first hand experience of ballistics on meat.
    In a round about way your comment reminds me of the testing that the FBI (?) did on cartridges, initially using only ballistic gelatin. They found that those results were nothing like the real world and expanded their testing to include clothing to simulate a clothed person...quite different results were obtained.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Fair enough. I was just making fun of myself for not killing a deer.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

chuckbuster (07-15-2019)

Hey, going hunting and actually killing a deer are two very different things
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Hey, going hunting and actually killing a deer are two very different things
    I used to say that about bow hunting. On the positive side, bow hunting has taught me lessons that have resulted in short range deer in rifle season.

And....yup. Found the loads with the Bergers...as well as SMK and ELD bullets loaded up with H4350, tucked away in a corner of my overcrowded little gun room. A friend of mine says a thorough search in there would be like an Easter egg hunt. Anyhow, I'm going to keep looking for a more reliable hunting bullet for the Creedmoor...not that I expect to actually have one kill a deer anytime soon: hunting versus actually killing a deer and all...
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By chuckbuster

Rory McCanuck (07-17-2019)

All I ever used in a .270 is a 130gr Sierra Boattail. Not once did I ever use a fancy bullet and every year I got my 2 deer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12