Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOPAKCO Emergency Ration Meals - Running Review

67128906_417279102242196_8255781596590768128_n.jpg

SOPAKCO Emergency Ration Meals - Reduced Sodium

So I found a case of these fairly cheap, worked out to $9 a meal after taxes and shipping. There are 14 meals in the box. You don't know how many of each meal you are going to get so it's sort of a surprise.

In this case I received:

2x spaghetti with meat and textured soy flour sauce
    2x penne with vegetable sausage crumble in spicy tomato sauce
    2x beef ravioli in meat and textured soy protein sauce
    3x chili macaroni and beef sauce
    3x cheese tortellini in tomato sauce
    4x vegetable lasagna

The names like many MRE leave something to be desired. Like, what the hell is Textured Soy Flour Sauce?

So I won't be reviewing all of the meals right away nor will I be reviewing all of them. I will post a review here each time I try one.

These are supposed to come with the flameless ration heaters although I'm told even if they do, they generally don't work very well. So we will see.

I think you should show us if it's possible to live off these rations for a week.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By JustBen

lone-wolf (07-16-2019), ruger#1 (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I think you should show us if it's possible to live off these rations for a week.
    I've done it before living off MRE for two whole weeks, don't want to try that again

Ok so I got bored at work and the boss kept bugging me so I opened one of the bags.

DSC_3614.jpg

So you get your main, some crackers, Brown Sugar T/P, two Apple Jelly, Tootsie Roll, Accessory packet, and the flameless ration heater. I am sort of saddened that these do not come with any sort of beverage. No coffee, no tea, no juice mix. Ah well for the price I paid they had to cut back on something.

First up is the Crackers!

DSC_3616.jpg

DSC_3619.jpg

So you get two crackers and for some unknown reason they weren't crumbs! Since this is a reduce sodium case, there is no salt on the crackers. They aren't a soda cracker. They are thinner and slightly more dense. The have a really nice flavour to them though. Really fragile once you get them out of the package. Bit into one and had a lot of crumbs.
    Last edited by Drache; 07-16-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Next up was the Brown Sugar T/P:

DSC_3618.jpg

Surprise! It's just a repackaged Pop Tart

DSC_3620.jpg

A Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop Tart. Says there is two but the vacuum sealing process compressed them into a thicker single one.

DSC_3621.jpg

It's a Pop Tart... not much I can say about them. Most people have eating at least one Pop Tart in their lives.

Next up was the Apple Jelly

DSC_3617.jpg

I tried to get a picture of it but ended up making a mess. It's your pretty standard apply jelly. Sweet but not overly sweet. Decent apple flavour. I didn't knead the package before opening so the jelly wasn't smooth, it had some jelly lumps. Would be good on toast.

The Accessory Packet was pretty plain.

DSC_3623.jpg

Contained Pepper, Salt, A Napkin, a fairly durable plastic spoon, and Papa's Perfect Salt Free Seasoning. The seasoning is simply dehydrated onion, garlic, peppers, carrots, tomato, some spices, little sugar, etc.
    Last edited by Drache; 07-16-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Those look a lot like US MREs. The heaters work well if you can find an "or something".

So my father and I tried out two of the MRE. His selection:

DSC_3630.jpg

So the rest of the MRE was the exact same as the spaghetti one I opened before so I didn't take and pictures of that.

Once again a plain simple packaging:

DSC_3629.jpg

So the ration heater for this meal didn't work that well. Not sure if it was something my dad did but it didn't heat this meal up completely.

DSC_3633.jpg

That being said my father said he quite enjoyed it although it could use a salt and pepper. The "powder" that you see on some of the noodles was the Papa's Perfect seasoning packet that he dumped in.

My selection was:

DSC_3631.jpg

Ooo fancy packaging! Don't even know why I took this photo....

DSC_3628.jpg

So the ration heater for mine worked really well and heated up my meal perfectly!

DSC_3632.jpg

All in all it was a decent meal. It tasted like a slightly more fancy Chef Boyardee Ravioli. Once again, being the "Reduced Sodium" it needed some salt.
    Last edited by Drache; 07-20-2019 at 07:50 PM.

So the Ravioli MRE came with Grape Jelly instead of Apple Jelly like the rest. It tasted like Grape Jelly, no surprise there, but was also way sweeter than the Apple Jelly.

DSC_3626.jpg

It also came with Strawberry Pop tarts and they weren't in the brown packaging like the other MRE:

DSC_3627.jpg

It was kind of smooshed but since it wasn't vacuum sealed, I had two Pop tarts instead of a really thick one

It was a Strawberry Pop tart, what do you want me to say about it?
    Last edited by Drache; 07-20-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast