Living Energy Farm

http://livingenergyfarm.org/

They seem to be able to largely eliminate the big battery bank issue for renewable energy, and use nickel-iron (NiFe) batteries instead of deep cycle batteries.

So their setup looks pretty easy to duplicate and would work’ well at camps and cabins, worse at a grid power style house.

DC Microgrid and “Daylight Drives” are their terms for some of it.

Homemade NiFe battery!

firstnife-e1551477882259-765x1024.jpg

http://livingenergyfarm.org/nickel-i...teries-at-lef/

At Living Energy Farm, our conservationist design means we need very little stored electricity. We store electricity with nickel iron (NiFe) batteries, a very old, very durable battery technology. Nickel iron batteries tolerate tremedous swings of voltage input and discharge rates that would destroy any other kind of battery. These batteries are tremendously robust!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By SIR VEYOR

Rory McCanuck (07-15-2019)

I'm glad to see these batteries are becoming a trending thing. I want to learn more about them. If I could get my hands on enough nickel, the rest is easy.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Careful with the technical info from this LEF granola guy.
    His explanation of electrical fundamentals had me alternately grinning and shaking my head.
    Definitely needs filtering before application.

Also where can one obtain potassium hydroxide in sufficient quantity for the electrolyte?
    I would hazard a guess that the sodium hydroxide found in household bleach is too diluted to be of any use.
    A good experiment might be to see if one can condense readily available bleach, then measure its effectiveness as a charge carrier. Plus note any physical effect on the electrodes that the sodium solution may have, over several charge/discharge cycles.

I'm thinking it would likely have the same terminal voltage as a potassium based cell, but the molecular weight may have an effect on the current capacity. Some of you know a great deal more than I about chemistry, am I on the right track?
    Last edited by LB303; 07-17-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Sodium hydroxide is drano. Potassium hydroxide should be available...somewhere?

OH ok, wrong household product. But the rest of what I'm rambling about is still valid, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Careful with the technical info from this LEF granola guy.

His explanation of electrical fundamentals had me alternately grinning and shaking my head.
    Definitely needs filtering before application.

Also where can one obtain potassium hydroxide in sufficient quantity for the electrolyte?
    Well, there are smart/ingenious hippies out there...

Looks like they mostly plan on using Chinese mass produced ones anyway. But as they’re looking at helping the whole world, it’s s 3rd world approach they might be researching.

Knowing how some of the camps here are essentially 3rd world setups run by cheapskates, the picture seemed the best choice for this board in particular.

And let’s face it, lots of ways to get chemicals in large quantities. Most aren’t that heavily restricted. Kinda like black powder. Small is hard to find, huge needs commercial stuff sometimes, but intermediate isn’t too problematic to get/store.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    Bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Sodium hydroxide is drano. Potassium hydroxide should be available...somewhere?
    Sodium Hydroxide is readily available, any outfit that caters to the soap making crowd will have it, many hardware stores also carry it, I even remember seeing it at a local grocery store once. If you know how you could probably get the Potassium Hydroxide from wood ashes.

Get it before it gets banned!!!
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!
    Rewarding 4 years of incompetence and corruption with 4 more years, says a lot about our electorate.

I think potassium hydroxide is used by the soap people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I think potassium hydroxide is used by the soap people too.
    I think you're right, after all, soap was first made using wood ashes.
    We were told he wasn't ready, now we know he will never be!
    Rewarding 4 years of incompetence and corruption with 4 more years, says a lot about our electorate.