Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Registrations of restricted firearm on the rise in Manitoba

Proud to say I helped the count many times!!!

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...512814862.html

Registrations of restricted firearm on the rise in Manitoba
    By: Tessa Vanderhart
    Posted: 07/17/2019 3:00 AM

NEP6177401.jpg
    Tracey Wilson, above, who works for the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights, says an increase in handgun ownership is probably because the shooting sports are so inclusive of different bodies.

SEVEN thousand more restricted firearms have been legally registered in Manitoba in the last four years and experts on both sides of the issue suggest it could be due to the popularity of shooting sports or as a reaction to possible bans.

There were just under 30,000 restricted firearms (mainly handguns, but the category also includes some semi-automatics like AR-15s) registered in Manitoba in 2015. By last year, it was 37,000. Restricted firearm ownership is on the rise nationally as well.

Gun enthusiasts say itís because shooting sports are attracting more people.

"These are sports that are really on the rise," said Tracey Wilson of the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights, adding itís inclusive for all bodies. At her home range, there are shooters who use wheelchairs, others up to 65. Wilson said for smaller people, handguns are easier to use than a long gun.

High-profile shootings in recent years have led to calls for a handgun ban, including a motion being debated at Toronto city council this month.

"Whenever you have legislation that directly targets gun owners, you will see trends that affect participation in various ways," Wilson said.

She cited ruminations from Organized Crime Reduction Minister Bill Blair about banning AR-15 semi-automatic rifles following 51 deaths at New Zealand mosques in March. Canadian Shooting Sports put out a press release titled "Bill Blair: Greatest AR-15 Salesman in Canadian History."

"With that came an influx of purchasing of AR-15s, because usually, governments would grandfather you in," Wilson said.

On June 21, Bill C-71, "An Act to amend certain Acts and Regulations in relation to firearms," got royal assent. It extends the amount of time mental health or violent behaviour concerns can be considered in licensing, requires logging of long-gun transfers and tighter rules for taking handguns away from home.

"The idea there was to get a little tougher on checking things out," said University of Manitoba criminology professor Frank Cormier. He said U.S. data shows correlations more guns are bought when bans are discussed.

"At the end of the day, I wish the government would focus on legislation that targets criminals," Wilson said. "But as long as they target gun owners, I think youíre going to see more and more people get interested in the sport, just to see what the big deal is."

While the vast majority of guns owned by Canadians are long guns, up to 60 per cent of firearm-related crimes in Canada involve handguns, Statistics Canada data shows.

"With more guns in circulation, there is a greater probability of those firearms finding their way into the wrong peopleís hands, and that could be an indicator for why there has been an uptick in shootings in many of the major cities across Canada," said University of Toronto sociology professor Jooyoung Lee.

While for decades most crime guns have come from the United States, in recent years some studies have suggested more are coming from within Canada. Lee said thereís not enough data to know which is right.

"We have very select data that paints these two vastly different pictures, which in turn would demand Ö vastly different policy interventions. And yet we donít know," he said.

tvanderhart@freepress.mb.ca
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By GTW

Billythreefeathers (07-17-2019), R&R Rancher (07-18-2019), Rory McCanuck (07-17-2019)

I love how so called "expert" Jooyoung Lee always avoids the demographics involved in the "uptick in shootings in many of the major cities across Canada". No one one wants to address the elephant in the room: GANGS!!!!
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By GTW

Billythreefeathers (07-17-2019), R&R Rancher (07-18-2019), Rory McCanuck (07-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    "With more guns in circulation, there is a greater probability of those firearms finding their way into the wrong people’s hands, and that could be an indicator for why there has been an uptick in shootings in many of the major cities across Canada," said University of Toronto sociology professor Jooyoung Lee.

While for decades most crime guns have come from the United States, in recent years some studies have suggested more are coming from within Canada. Lee said there’s not enough data to know which is right.

"We have very select data that paints these two vastly different pictures, which in turn would demand … vastly different policy interventions. And yet we don’t know," he said.
    He is also a expert on Hip Hop too!

I live among lots of sheeple and dim witted who like to think they are good Canadians for voting Lieberal

Way to go Manitoba! My wife is getting in the action.

Oh, and Jooyoung Lee is ignorant.

7. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Purdom234

Billythreefeathers (07-17-2019), stewbud (07-18-2019), TheMerlin (07-18-2019)

Oh, and Jooyoung Lee is ignorant.
    You are much more polite than I.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    You are much more polite than I.
    I was going to say something,,, then I remembered my last infraction,,, Aaaaa screw it I'm saying it anyway

what a dumass Joo is,,, and what kind of Indian name is that,,, he's from one of those BC tribes no doubt
    CSSA

"We have very select data that paints these two vastly different pictures, which in turn would demand … vastly different policy interventions. And yet we don’t know," he said.
    That's right. You don't know, neither does the rcmp. Now stfu!
    tdod101 - signing off. Goodbye.

The more gun owners the more voters that will be “offended” by anti-gun legislation and seek redress and vindication at the election polls.
    I know that defacto calling me a latent mass murderer by restricting/removing my gun rights seriously peeves me off enough to seek my political pound of flesh on Election Day.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    He is also a expert on Hip Hop too!

These liberal know-it-alls are the ones brainwashing our kids.
    One of my neighbours sons did a school project on “activities families do together”.
    He submitted the project entitled “our day at the range” complete with photos and was promptly called into the principals office and told to resubmit the assignment on “a more appropriate topic” on pain of academic penalty (receiving a “F” grade in the social studies course).
    A kid would have to have a pretty robust mental constitution not to be vehemently anti-gun after 12 years in our Canadian public school system.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

I would have been at that principal's office with the RCMP having him arrested for intimidation and threats/extortion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast