Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello, Gun Owners of Canada!

Hello all! On behalf of Calibre, I personally want to say thank you to the good folks that go through the effort of providing us all with this forum for their gracious support, and thank you all for stopping by to check out what we're doing!

In case you haven't heard, Calibre is Canada's only firearms publication. Even better yet, it's also entirely free. Available in two weeks' time at the fine retailers located on this map or immediately at Canada Ammo by placing an order, we hope to provide you all with not only a fine-looking publication printed on the ultimate in tactical paper (ie; low gloss matte silk stock), but also with a single curated, edited, and trustworthy source of information tailored specifically to the Canadian market. So every time you pick up Calibre, you can rest assured that you'll find nothing but products available in the Canadian market, features that are relevant to the Canadian gun owner, and pricing and firearm classification information that means something to you. In the first issue, readers will find a little bit of everything, ranging from historical piece on a submachine gun credited to some degree with the Finnish victory in the Winter War (as well as a review of the version you can buy today), to a newbie-friendly explanation of pistol actions, to an examination of the grey market's impact on the Canadian industry. And that's just the tip of the 48-page iceberg.

Furthermore, in the week ahead, we'll be providing day-by-day, blow-by-blow recaps of SHOT Show 2013, so check back here next week to see all the cool toys that we will be able to expect to see North of the 49th parallel soon, as well as a few that we probably won't. Conversely, if you need updates on a frequent pace, check out our Facebook page at www.fb.me/calibremagazine for a full and frequently updated rundown on the daily goings-on here at Calibre's offices. And for those that really don't want to get any work done next week, we'll be doing our best to live-tweet the whole SHOT Show experience on Twitter at @Calibremag.

So again, from me to you, thanks for stopping by, and we at Calibre hope to see you soon!

Daniel Fritter
    Publisher
    Calibre Magazine

Welcome aboard gents!

Any chance of an ebook version (pdf, epub, mobi etc etc) for those of us who aren't close to one of those stores?

Red Deer Shooting Centre 50calshooter's Avatar
    Welcome!

I look forward to reading it!!! I'd also be interested in an E-version.
    Unhappy is the fate of one who tries to win his battles and succeed in his attacks without cultivating the spirit of enterprise, for the result is waste of time and general stagnation.
    -Sun Tzu

Heard about this on the last episode of Canadian Reload Radio. They said there won't be an electronic version for now due to the cost. While I understand that one has to pay for bandwidth, I'm not too sure how printing saves any dollars.

Very cool. I'll have to start hounding James at the Calgary Shooting Center for a copy!

Welcome aboard fellas, we are glad to have you
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Banned
    Got my interest; Ill be keeping tabs at the SportsLodge; see if/when it shows up.

Thanks guys; I just spent 13 hours finishing folding shipping boxes, printing Fedex labels, and battling packing tape, and that comes after five days of doing nothing but... so your supportive comments are much appreciated!

As for an e-pub, yup, it's in the cards. However, we want to make sure it's done right, as it's a bit of an important step. We could just upload a PDF, but we think it's a bit of a cop-out... if we're going to put a magazine onto the internet, we may as well try to make full use of the technology with linking ads, searchable content, etc etc. Furthermore, we need to consider how we're going to fit such a product into our business model. As a free magazine, we rely on advertiser revenue to remain afloat (or rather to gain buoyancy at these early stages!), and that revenue is generated by advertisers both wanting access to our readership with their advertising content as well as wanting to drive traffic through their store or website as readers come looking for the latest issue. An e-pub would increase our reach, most definitely, but we need to make sure we're doing it right lest we end up putting ourselves out of business... and I don't think anyone wants that!

But in the meantime, I really want to thank everyone for their support. Really, it's huge. The God's honest is that we're as yet a fledgling company (I'll put it this way... Canadian Reload Radio boasts a bigger staff!) in an incredibly tough market; a market that's almost totally unfamiliar with magazines and print media. One of our biggest hurdles has been convincing potential advertisers that there's value in such a foreign concept as advertising in a Canadian firearm magazine, and it's threads like this, as well as the various comments over on Facebook, that tells the Canadian firearms industry that what we're making is appreciated and does indeed have some value and merit to it. It's all well and good for me to tell any given Canadian firearms company that there's value in our product in asking for their support, but the reality is that just the merest mention of Calibre from a consumer will typically carry more weight than even my lengthiest and most well-prepared communication ever could... so again, thank you guys for the kind words! And hey, they also help stoke the proverbial fire when I'm waning on these 14- and 15-hour work days!

Otherwise, keep on checking in with your local stores; the first boxes of copies should be darkening their doorways pretty promptly by now. And once you get a copy, please feel free to give us some feedback either here, on our Facebook page, or via email at info@calibremag.ca. We want to grow and adjust, and we'd love to hear what you liked, as well as what you didn't like. And if you walked away thinking "by jove, that wasn't half bad," do us a favour and tell someone else... like your local gunsmith, gun shop owner, preferred online store, or range executive! Like I said, we'll be doing all we can both here and at SHOT Show to ensure our future, but nothing we could ever say to a potential advertiser can compete with a good word from one of you guys, and without those advertisers we simply can't afford to stay in business publishing a magazine that I personally feel is much-needed for the Canadian shooting community.

Finally, with the final shipments heading out tomorrow, we'll be spending the next few days working on a couple more distribution deals (we'll let you guys know as soon as there's something to report!) as well as prepping for SHOT Show... so check back soon to see what that entails!

Any availability around Ontario yet ?????
    When in Doubt, you know !!!!!!! Unload ... !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast