Remington V3 any good?

Hi everyone,

My question is for those who have experience with the remington V3.

How as it treated you so far?

I know that Remington has had some quality control issues in recent years, but from what I read this model has had good reviews.

Thanks!
    Harry Potter is a story about a school where both students and staff are required to carry a deadly weapon on their person at all times and somehow the left can't get enough of it.

I was hoping someone was going to pop into this thread with thoughts about Remington and their quality control.

I've never bought any firearms made by Remington, including Marlin or Bushmaster. I really want a 700 and an 870, because those have CRAZY aftermarket support and a religious following. Law enforcement and the shops that supply them only rarely carry mods for any other shotgun or bolt action rifle.

I just can't bring myself to buy anything from them. When I first started talking about picking up a 700, people started talking about how junky they were. I started looking into the company. I don't remember a lot of the details, but it seemed they had hired a CEO that had run at least two other major brand names into the ground by using their reputation to keep prices high while cutting every corner in manufacturing he could.

I don't remember the other companies or which CEO it was. It was definitely a car manufacturer that had major issues with him. It sounded like he had kept getting fired and then picked up to lead other companies.

Anyways, it was a really weird story, and that's why I've never bought guns from Remington. I've bought their ammo and the odd accessory but I don't want to end up paying Remington prices and getting Norinco.

I do still want an 870 (My Mossberg 500 is the better shotgun as far as I'm concerned for reliability and ergonomics) just because it's a legend to law enforcement. I want to build a 700 up as well because of it's near mythical action.

I'm just waiting for someone to either correct my story or give me one of Remingtons redemption before I do.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

"Anyways, it was a really weird story, and that's why I've never bought guns from Remington"

have YOU done any research outside internet rumours

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    "Anyways, it was a really weird story, and that's why I've never bought guns from Remington"

have YOU done any research outside internet rumours
    Sure, back when I was choosing a precision rifle set up. I always research like crazy before making a purchase.

However now that I have a precision set up that I'll be tweaking for probably a few years, and I'm super happy with my mossberg, I haven't looked at 700's or 870's for a long time.

The OP started a thread concerning Remington Firearms and quality control that went a couple days without response so I thought I'd join the conversation since I'm curious.

How about you Stew?

Got anything useful to add?
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Hidyn

libraryguy (08-05-2019)

I have several Remington 870 shotguns 12 and 20 ga, all older models and some rifles, 788, 700 and 40x again older models. The newest Remington I have is a 783 which is ok, on par with all the other "bargain" priced rifles. I have had and sold some of the SPS models both rifle and shotgun, finish was not even close to the Wingmasters and BDL models but they shot and functioned ok. The V3 I can't comment on as I haven't shot one just looked it over at a gun show, hardly the time or environment to form an opinion. There were stories of real poor quality control for a while but I never saw it myself. My .02 says look at a firearm preferably in person, if you like the fit and function buy it. Best option is if you know somebody with that model and will let you try it out.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By road kill

R&R Rancher (08-01-2019)

have an early'50s 870 I never shoot and have used a couple late '60s 700s, nothing in either type later than that, I have a 597 I shoot a lot and I'm quite pleased with it. Pick it up, handle it, work the action, that should tell you more than half remembered interweb tales

I haven’t heard much in the way of QC nightmares lately. There were some bolt handles that fell off, some 870’s with lousy extractors, and the whole too much loctite in the trigger assembly recall/lawsuit/fiasco. But Remington sold a sh!tload of guns during that period and most of them were fine. We usually only hear about the bad ones.... The more expensive Remington firearms still seem pretty nice to me. The SPS and Express finishes leave something to be desired, but that’s reflected somewhat in the price and you get a gun you really don’t have to worry about knocking around in the woods, just oil it well after it gets wet. The barrel on my 870 Express would turn orange after a day in the damp until I got a good many coats of G96 into it.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I was looking at the V3 version of a riot gun last week, and contrasted it with a similar versamax costing at least $500 more. Furniture was not as nice on the V3 and for some reason the LOP was Lilliputian in comparison, like a youth gun.

Pity, that. I’ve not come across more than one in the wild, and the fellow who owned it hadn’t had it for very long at that point.

If you are open to something similar, my brother has had the basic black Winchester SX4 for about a year now and quite likes it. It’s priced to compete with the V3, or vice versa.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Mark-II

libraryguy (08-03-2019), Stew (08-04-2019)