Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar

Another winter camp with a great surprise! PIC HEAVY

Not sure if this goes here. my last one i posted in prepping for the future however this camp was less about survival and more about winter camping hunting and hot tenting.

So four of us went into the woods...

into the woods by zulu3030, on Flickr

Next we started making our sheltor. I bought some insulated tarps for 25$ from a tool rental place. great deal as they are 12 ft by 24 feet each! we made a wooden frame and wraped the insulated tarps around the sides and roof
    used pine bows for the floor, they are the best. and a wood stove i picked up at campers village on boxing day for 83$ (its the 20" deep one)

start by zulu3030, on Flickr

set tarps by zulu3030, on Flickr

pine floor by zulu3030, on Flickr

IMG_5336 by zulu3030, on Flickr
    GET THAT STOVE GOING!

Finshed

done by zulu3030, on Flickr

Time to eat some bear sausage

IMG_5343 by zulu3030, on Flickr

glow tent by zulu3030, on Flickr

Well that turned out great. The first night we had some gaps in the tarp that we fixed the next day and added some reflective survival blankets. the blue tarp was not insulated id say we got greedy and made it a bit to big but it served its purpose. The coldest it got was -18.5 and we got the inside to be +18 but that was at its warmest most of the time it was +8 to +10 and at night it was +5

Hot tenting is great and we used a sled to carry it all in. i wish we took a picture of the sled.

finished tent by zulu3030, on Flickr

Okay in this picture u can see the sled to the right and just to the right of the sled you can see the stump we use to keep all the axes out of the snow and in one area. on the far left you can see the gun rack where all guns were left and unloaded we brought a lot of guns. one savage 3030 over 20ga, remington 700 7mm, marlin 3030, m14, savage 93 22WMR, 1022 and a 30 06 .
    after finding fresh cougar tracks 100m away we decided to keep the marlin 3030 inside the tent because it had the peep sight and would not fog.

4inch cougar pad by zulu3030, on Flickr
    my friend sent this photo to a cougar guild who said the pad was 4 inches and it could be a 200lbs cat. im no cougar expert myself.

Beautiful Alberta winter nights

cut line by zulu3030, on Flickr

night by zulu3030, on Flickr

sky trees by zulu3030, on Flickr

this photo i really like. you can see the glow of the sheltor on the trees that you cannot see with the naked eye.

The next couple days were almost uneventfull and a couple guys went wolf hunting but only found a few tracks and were unable to call them in.
    we shot a couple rabbits and i gut shot one with the 22WMR oops a waste.

we did do a 2.5 km trek to the river which was great. the snow was deep so we took turns breaking trail. when we got the the river this is what we found.

elk find by zulu3030, on Flickr

elk head by zulu3030, on Flickr

WHAT A FIND! we took it with us and reported it to the local CO and paid 10$ for a permit to keep it. the interesting thing is that it only had 5 tines but was quite large. we figure it was an old elk who lost some of its tines due to age and was killed by wolves. thats what the CO figured as well seeing how it is very large and in this area a 5 point is not legal to shoot.

me with the elk on my pack

me with elk by zulu3030, on Flickr

for breakfeast we had bannok and oatmeal

bannock by zulu3030, on Flickr

the stove was great to cook on and we could fit 3 pans or pots on the stove the center being the hottest.

after the trek my dog was tired.

sofie by zulu3030, on Flickr

bird wing tracks are pretty cool

bird wing tracks by zulu3030, on Flickr

cut line by zulu3030, on Flickr

what a great time and the new dog Sofie was awesome very well behaved, just a wistle and she came running. i learned to sleep with her leash on my arm and coyotes came near at night to where we cleaned the rabbits about 50m and she would growl and scare them off but i was worried about her chasing them.

i guess i made the photos a little small i can repost any of them larger if needed. I spent 1.5 hours at first uploading everything and writting when my son bumped my arm and deleted everything so i wrote it all again and sumed it all up.

You're certainly more adventurous then I am. Thanks for posting.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

That's cool! I'd love to try winter camping some time.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Looks like you guys had a pretty good time, too.
    Goes to prove that camping, even in the winter, doesn't need to be uncomfortable.

It was a great time, if you want to try it just find a buddy who has done it before. the one guy to my left in the elk head pic had never gone before and he had a lot to learn. the biggest thing for him was to remember where he puts stuff as we were ready to go do something at a moments notice and he would spend 10 mins easy trying to find the stuff he needed lol also to keep your head lamp around your neck when not in use saves a lot of time.

Excellent pictures, thanks for going through all the work to share! I can see a lever rifle being a good tent gun.

pretty cool thanks for sharing

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    Awesome pics, and looks like a great time had by all, I've never went out past dec 1 but we've had some pretty cold novembers. Thanks for sharing
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

I am hankering a winter camp..... I go solo though but great motivation.... Thanks
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast