Remington 597 misfires -

I have a Remmy 597 HB that shoots pretty well- consistently about 1.5" to 2" at 100m with CCI SV.
    I hope to find a better ammo that will tighten that up a bit as I think the rifle can achieve better. While it is decently accurate, it does have / has had a few issues. The extractor blew apart, which was covered under warranty, but it cost me way too much to ship it to Quebec for the repair. The charging handle flys out on occasion when it takes a hankering to do so, and I am lucky I have not lost it yet ( any fixes for that??).
    Last week, one evening , when I was shooting it it began to have a few misfires- at first I thought it was the ammo, but it became much worse , to the point it pretty much would not fire at all.looking at the miss- fired cases, it appeared that the rim was deformed severely such that the rim was not receiving a firm strike but was kind of making a long "fold".misfire.jpg
    I took the rifle apart, and observed a little bit of a dimple in the area where the firing pin would strike,causing me to fear that I had damaged the rifle and would need to reface the chamber/ barrel. Upon looking a little closer I was a little embarrased that there was a large amount of dirt/debris in the area above the chamber. There was enough gunk there that I felt it might prevent the bolt from properly entering battery, to allow a firm strike to the rim. I gave this area a thorough cleaning and tested the rifle. There certainly was an improvement, however I was still getting a higher than usual number of misfires. I continued to worry that the rifle was damaged due to peening. It occured to me that the bolt still may not be going fully into battery because of some other obstruction. I recalled reading about "carbon rings" forming in 22's and causing various problems-perhaps this was causing a problem somehow? For this rifle I usually give the barrel a couple of pull through's with Ed's Red , before putting it away, avoiding major disruption in the accuracy associated with more thorough cleaning. A this point I decided to give the rifle a much more thorough cleaning with solvent and a bore snake( usually I use a Otis cable). When the cleaning was complete, I tested the rifle once more- to my relief, the firing became as reliable as it had in the past, so I assume that the "ring" may have been part of the problem.-Maybe somebody else may benefit from my experience-
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Trudeau Out Now!!!

any problems I've had with mine have been resolved with extremely thorough cleaning including a brush, have around 7,000 rounds through it now, mostly Federal 525 bulk pack, doesn't like "Golden Bullets"

"...the firing became as reliable as..." Most issues with .22's(and most other firearms) are fixed with a bath.
    "...doesn't like..." Every one of 'em will "like" different ammo. Even 2 identical, consecutively numbered, match rifles(or pistols) will prefer different ammo.

I guess the surprising thing to me is that I gave it a pretty good cleaning of the receiver area and the barrelwas cleaned as per normal- I believe that it was a carbon ring causing the issue because it was not until the bore snake was used that the rifle became reliable again
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Trudeau Out Now!!!

Regarding the charging handle, I've noticed that 597's have fairly loose fitting charging handles, maybe glue in a small strong magnet in the back of the charging handle slot.
    أنا أحب البنادق

Quote Originally Posted by DuhBoredShooter View Post
    Regarding the charging handle, I've noticed that 597's have fairly loose fitting charging handles, maybe glue in a small strong magnet in the back of the charging handle slot.
    Hmm- might be a good idea - bore small hole in handle or slot, epoxy inset maybe, I will have to see if this has been done before.

Found this-https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/remington-597-bolt-handle.19866/
    Last edited by 3MTA3; 08-16-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Trudeau Out Now!!!