Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MKivSupra View Post
    Do they not come over sized so you file them to fit the dovetail like skinner sights?
    According to Williams themselves, no they should not need filing

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    According to Williams themselves, no they should not need filing
    then thats terrible, Hopefully they offer some form of refund, I hope the gun itself isnt damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by MKivSupra View Post
    then thats terrible, Hopefully they offer some form of refund, I hope the gun itself isnt damaged.
    Why should they refund? He should have stopped when the sight pusher started to mangle the sight. When something getting damaged. Normally that's a sign of something too tight, or not right. But grabbing a punch and start beating on it. Isn't always the best option.

There alot of factors, to it not fitting. The mill that cut the dovetail could be getting worn. So might not be the sight but the dovetail. Different machines could produce a slightly different spec.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Sight pusher tools, aside from expensive, are usually sight and/or firearm specific. However, it's not the tool that damages the part. It's how the tool is used.
    And no type of Budweiser can be called 'beer'. There ain't no rice in beer. I still wonder with the type that is advertised as "double filtered" how they got the horse to drink it twice. Friggin' animal cruelty.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Justice

Aniest (08-10-2019), Hidyn (08-10-2019), Stew (08-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Why should they refund? He should have stopped when the sight pusher started to mangle the sight.
    We did stop once the sight crumbled. By then it was already in the dovetail and it was ruined. The further damage was caused by trying to get it out.

But grabbing a punch and start beating on it. Isn't always the best option.
    Where did I say I started beating on it? I said I grabbed a brass punch to try and drift the sight back out. As for the hammers we have in the gunsmithing shop, I think the largest one on my bench is maybe 2oz.

There alot of factors, to it not fitting. The mill that cut the dovetail could be getting worn. So might not be the sight but the dovetail. Different machines could produce a slightly different spec.
    The TRU GLO sights that belonged to another gunsmith (which are steel not cheap aluminum btw) went in without a single issue. So I don't think it's the dove tail.

Seriously, did they not teach you about dovetails in your gunsmith training?
    Did you start it in the big side?
    Does the sight have a taper to it and did you start from the narrow side?

I do a lot of joking about grabbing a bigger hammer, but if something doesn't want to go, it's for a reason.
    Figure out what the reason is, and it will usually go together nicely.
    Putting in 1000lbs of truck transmission, if it doesn't want to go, don't force it, you'll break the pressure plate.
    Putting a split tractor (God knows how many pounds) back together, don't force it, something isn't lined up right or a line is in the way.
    If you've cleared up why it won't go easily, then grab the big hammer.

Looking at the damage, your sight pusher doesn't have a foot of any sort, so basically you're using a bolt to drill into the sight.
    It seems it wasn't straight either, as the bolt turned it climbed up the sight, pushing on a smaller and smaller area.

Not to rag on you, but suck it up and look at it as a lesson.
    If it doesn't want to go, just the slightest wisp with a file will make quite a difference.
    Most manufacturers will say their parts will install with no fitting, and if you don't give a f***, they're right.
    If you take a moment to break corners, remove burrs, properly seal electrical connections, check the tires before the trip, buy her a drink beforehand... life just goes so much easier.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Camo tung (08-11-2019), JustBen (08-11-2019), RobertMcC (08-10-2019)

Last edited by RobertMcC; 08-10-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12