Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Some one needs to tell them to be nice until Useless Twat gets re-elected. Then they can go back to shipping unlimited quantities of fentanyl and slaughtering peasants with no repercussions.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    airport is closed,,, not a good sign
    CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I'm a little surprised the Chinese waited this long to stamp out any resistance to their oversight. Possibly waiting to figure out an American response if any. Wait for the turd to declare war on China just to be opposite of Trump, expect our prompt and absolute surrender 12 minutes later.
    Dont say things like that
    DON'T STEAL! - The government hates competition

WARNING: story contains descriptions which may disturb some readers. If you need help, you can call the Canada Snowflake Prevention Service at 1-833-456-4566. The service is toll free from anywhere in Canada, operates in French and English, 24/7.

Trump just reached out to Xi via twitter to resolve it peacefully and perhaps have a face to face with him.
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/
    Don't let the public forget about #LAVSCAM https://lavscam.info

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Trump just reached out to Xi via twitter to resolve it peacefully and perhaps have a face to face with him.
    Lol
    I know Xi can't be bothered to talk to the idiot, but I almost wish he would.
    Just destroy him in a tweet and send him crying home to mommy.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Trumps now tying successful trade negotiations to a peaceful resolution in HK.

I don't think tanks are going to roll, but I'm more worried the pro-democracy movement in HK will just peter out.
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Trumps now tying successful trade negotiations to a peaceful resolution in HK.

I don't think tanks are going to roll, but I'm more worried the pro-democracy movement in HK will just peter out.
    maybe,,, but if tanks roll,,, look out
    CSSA

"If we had a vote tomorrow I would vote, once again, to keep the Registry..." - Justin Trudeau
    "... if Canadians are to trust their government, their government needs to trust Canadians." - Justin Trudeau

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-...ises-1.5247721

Chinese paramilitary forces seen conducting exercises across border from Hong Kong

U.S. State Department concerned about gathering, diplomats downplay it as posturing

hongkong-protests-pap.JPG

Hundreds of members of China's People's Armed Police (PAP) could be seen conducting exercises on Thursday at a sports stadium in Shenzhen, as the U.S. State Department expressed concern that they could be deployed across the border in Hong Kong to break up protests wracking the city.

But Western and Asian diplomats in Hong Kong said Beijing has little appetite for rolling the PAP or the People's Liberation Army onto Hong Kong's streets.

On Thursday men in fatigues could be seen in a stadium and shouts and whistles could be heard by a Reuters journalist. The stadium is next to a retail complex and shoppers were milling around the area, although the entrances to the stadium were closed.

Parking spaces at the stadium were filled with more than 100 dark-painted paramilitary vehicles, including troop trucks, armoured personnel carriers, buses and jeeps. At least three were armoured wheel-loaders, and two vehicles carried water cannons.

"This is the first time I've seen such a large-scale meeting," said Yang Ying, a receptionist at a wellness centre inside the stadium's retail complex.

"There have been exercises in the past, but usually they involve traffic police," she added. "Our friends, social media all say it's because of Hong Kong."

Beijing has condemned the protests in Hong Kong as "near terrorism" and, on Thursday, accused unidentified foreign forces of fomenting violence in the city.

"Foreign forces must stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs," Chinese Ambassador to Britain Liu Xiaoming told reporters, "Stop conniving in violent offences — they should not misjudge the situation and go down the wrong path, otherwise they will lift the stone only to drop it on their own feet."

shenzen-china-paramilitary-exercise.jpg

Ten weeks of increasingly violent confrontations between police and protesters have plunged Hong Kong into its worst crisis since it reverted from British to Chinese rule in 1997. The protests represent one of the biggest challenges for Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.

On Wednesday the U.S. State Department said it was deeply concerned about reports that Chinese police forces were gathering near the border with Hong Kong and urged the city's government to respect freedom of speech.

Troops marched in and out of the Shenzhen stadium, some in fatigues, some in black T-shirts and camouflage trousers. The floor of an indoor area visible through an open gate was lined with mats and rucksacks.

Chinese state media have made several mentions of exercises in Shenzhen.

The Global Times, a nationalistic tabloid run by the ruling Communist Party's official People's Daily, published a slick video early this week showing columns of trucks and armoured personnel carriers rolling through the city.

The paper said the vehicles belonged to the People's Armed Police and had gathered for "apparent-large scale exercises." Its editor, Hu Xijin, described it on Twitter as "a clear warning to rioters in Hong Kong."

The Communist Party's official People's Daily newspaper said on the social media platform Weibo that the force handles incidents that include riots and terrorist attacks.

"There is usually PAP in Shenzhen, but this time it appears to directed against Hong Kong," said a taxi driver, who gave his surname as Wang. "Usually they wouldn't hold such a big exercise."

Still, diplomats in Hong Kong said they believe Chinese leadership is well aware that moving mainland forces into Hong Kong would shatter international faith in the "one country, two systems" model at the heart of Hong Kong's role as a global financial hub, and would swiftly lead to sanctions.

"We are seeing an escalation in the posturing that appears designed to send messages to both Hong Kong and the mainland ... but we are confident we are still in the realms of propaganda here," one senior Western envoy told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media. "The trucks aren't about to roll at this point."

Alexander Neill, a Singapore-based security analyst at the International Institute of Strategic Studies, said it would take far more serious scenarios to spark such a move.

"I think we'd really need to see a total breakdown and a sense that China's national interests were at great risk and could not be protected by the Hong Kong government and its police," he said.

hk-map.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast