Lets see your clubs/range gong bunker

So I have the opportunity to propose a range gong/bunker at our club. And I need ideas of different shrouds/bunkers that house steel gongs.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    how about dirt,,, cheap and available,,,

and some tree stumps,, or 3 foot logs,,,
    CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    how about dirt,,, cheap and available,,,

and some tree stumps,, or 3 foot logs,,,
    Yes, But I like to see what some ranges have for an idea. Easier to propose something that another club has, because it means it would have been approved by the CFO.

What does your CFO want? Here the bunker has to have a back unless it's right up against the berm I think. If I had a choice I would leave the back open and away from the berm because that gets shot out first. If you have to replace the back you end up taking apart the whole thing if you didn't plan ahead. I've seen a lot of railway tie sized timbers used.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

Billythreefeathers (08-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    What does your CFO want? Here the bunker has to have a back unless it's right up against the berm I think. If I had a choice I would leave the back open and away from the berm because that gets shot out first. If you have to replace the back you end up taking apart the whole thing if you didn't plan ahead. I've seen a lot of railway tie sized timbers used.
    I asked my CFO. But I still like to see some ideas, plans, pictures.

Sorry no pics but our range uses rail ties. Three deep upright into the ground, cut to an appropriate height, then ties spiked across the top. The gongs are suspended from the top ties with belting (baler or conveyor). This is built in front of the berm that was constructed for the target board and sits beside the target board.
    The gongs have to be able to swing when hit (helps control the direction of the splash downward) and the ties contain the shrapnel (huh ? spell check says it's right but doesn't look right to me) within that small area. They look for how well the blast is contained from what I hear and of course the berm is there for misses.
    I would think that the ties on the sides could be laid flat with the top spiked on as well. They would all have to be spiked together I would think. Hmm drill holes thru and ram a sucker rod down and into the ground a few feet would help stabalize it maybe....

Large tractor tire, gong suspended inside with chains bolted to the top of the gong and the rear side tire sidewall.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By shootemup604

Billythreefeathers (08-13-2019)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    I use old tires,,, try and get about the same size,,, again cheap and plentiful,, fill with dirt,, don't use rocks
    CSSA

Using this in AB. Shroud box is 4 X 4 / top is 3/8 steel / sides are 1/4 . No back or floor. Exposed edges are ground with bevel deflection to the inside. Gong hanger swings with a downward deflecting AR500 disc. Brackets on the back of the disc make changeovers easy. We have high volume shooting. At 100M welds break every month or two. At 200M maybe every six months. At 300M can go a year or two. Maintenance involves welding the disc back on to the brackets. A disc lasts about 5 years before getting chipped or pocked.
    If you are interested in the gong/bracket design ... I can post another day. No pic in this photo album.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By 260 Rem

Billythreefeathers (08-14-2019)