Bullet ban wouldn't curb Toronto gun violence: police chief

Jun. 15 2012
    Toronto, Ontario

A ban on bullets in Toronto would not help curtail the sort of gun violence that led to the Eaton Centre shooting, police Chief Bill Blair said Friday.

At an afternoon meeting of the civilian board that oversees Toronto's police force, Chief Blair gave a presentation on shootings and gangs in the city. Councillor Michael Thompson, a board member, asked him to weight in on an idea, proposed by Councillor Adam Vaughan, which would see the sale of ammunition outlawed in the city.

"I can understand the concern there, but I don't see that would be a solution to the problem," Chief Blair responded.

Speaking with reporters after the meeting, the chief argued that most of the ammunition sold in Toronto is used in long guns, not the in the pistols favoured by street gangs. As such, banning the ammunition would make no difference, he said.

The chief also discussed the idea of banning handguns outright, which was floated under the previous council.

"In my perfect world, only the police would carry guns. And if no one else had them, the police wouldn't need them either," Chief Blair said. "But at the same time, I respect the right of people to own guns and the right of Parliament to legislate."

The comments were unusual for the chief, who usually declines to comment on political topics.

In his presentation to the board, he painted a picture of a city that is safer than it was in 2005, the year that saw a spike in shootings during the so-called "Summer of the Gun" and the death of Jane Creba, a 15-year-old girl killed in the crossfire after two rival factions pulled guns on each other on Yonge Street on Boxing Day.

The number of shootings and victims has steadily declined since then, Chief Blair said. He also listed off the force's various projects to stamp out the violence. The dismantling of downtown gangs has made traditional turfs more fluid and changed the nature of the shootings.

However, he said the city still had work to do to end the violence completely.

Some of that work got underway Friday, as police in downtown’s 51 Division and the west end’s 14 Division launched Project Post. Officers will fan out across Regent Park and Alexandra Park, two public housing projects, over the summer to crack down on street-level crime, check on suspects out on bail and speak with citizens to get a sense of the nature of gangs in the area.

Police have said the man accused of opening fire in the Eaton Centre two weeks ago, Christopher Husbands, was a member of the same Regent Park gang as the two men killed, Ahmed Hassan and Nixon Nirmalendran. That gang has been identified by sources as the Sic Thugs, who have been locked in a rivalry with gangsters based in west end Alexandra Park.

Mr. Husbands was on bail, accused of sexual assault at the time of the shooting, and was supposed to be under house arrest in a Scarborough apartment.

hxxp://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/bullet-ban-wouldnt-curb-toronto-gun-violence-police-chief/article4268876/

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    "I can understand the concern there, but I don't see that would be a solution to the problem," Chief Blair responded.
    He is correct.

Prohibitions do not work - they just drive up the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by stewbud View Post
    He is correct.

Prohibitions do not work - they just drive up the prices.
    Except for pot. That stuff is ridiculously cheap. Unless you buy it from the Gov't approved store.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Hidyn

Billythreefeathers (08-13-2019), firemachine69 (08-14-2019)

Funny how opinions change when your livelyhood is tied to them.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidyn View Post
    Except for pot. That stuff is ridiculously cheap. Unless you buy it from the Gov't approved store.
    funny I keep tell my friends "don't waste your money on crappy government weed,,, waste it on mine ' LOL I'm not doing a dam thing illegal cause Im not selling or bartering it,,, I'm giving it away for free,,, LOL,,, suck on the Justin
    CSSA

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Billythreefeathers

ruger#1 (08-13-2019)

Why don't they just ban shooting at people. Oh Wait that is already against the law, my lord these people are so unintelligent.

Instead of wasting their time trying to ban guns and bullets lobby the government to not let people who use guns illegally out on bail, make some new criminal gang laws with some teeth and go after people who supply and import illegal guns.

It is an embarrassment to this country as well as to all lawful Canadians to have these same dumb asses on the news everyday trying do the same thing that will not do anything to curb these illegal shootings.

The comments were unusual for the chief, who usually declines to comment on political topics.
    When did self defence become a 'political topic'?

Quote Originally Posted by Hidyn View Post
    And yet they don't have enough supply....

Bans work. You want to eliminate a problem, just ban it. Problem solved.

Examples? 1) Drugs. They're dangerous so our betters in government banned them. Drugs disappeared from our streets. 2) Drunk driving. A huge problem until it was banned. Now it's practically nonexistent. 3) Tax evasion. It's clear that all of our major corporations wouldn't be studiously calculating and judiciously paying their full share of taxes had not the government mandated they do so.

So the solution is clear. 1) Ban all guns now. Crime will practically evaporate overnight because no one would dare dream of breaking a law. 2) Enroll all ex cons (and prospective cons) in mandatory but strictly voluntary (and of course free) diversity training with extra classes on tolerance and peace & love. Once they know how much we love them, all thoughts of criminality will disappear. 3) Give them all free everything for the rest of their lives because a) it's their right, b) they've all been exploited and they're all victims and c) it's good for the economy.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

In my perfect world, only the police would carry guns.
    Yikes. Nobody here needs a history lesson
    "If we had a vote tomorrow I would vote, once again, to keep the Registry..." - Justin Trudeau
    "... if Canadians are to trust their government, their government needs to trust Canadians." - Justin Trudeau