Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beretta A301 Magnum 12gauge questions

Soooooo I have yet Another rookie question for you all.

I am inheriting the above mentioned shotgun, A Beretta A301 Magnum 12gauge. But I have no idea what size round this thing takes? I see 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 sizes. I Never knew there were different sized 12gauge shells. The range I will be trying it at only allowed slugs I believe can I safely fire slugs out of this gun?

I’d love to try skeet shooting one day but that’s some time away. Can this gun work for something like that?

Thanks again for any assistance than can be provided. Here’s a few pictures of the gun in question.

478EBC43-4D85-4A60-BA2C-287B6953BA6C.jpgA4E56538-3093-4AFB-A666-FCDC90507CE1.jpgC45C758F-3FBC-4F2A-A4B4-36584C8A41AE.jpg

There will be a data stamp on the barrel that will list the chamber length. As well, you need to know what the choke is before you think about firing slugs.

it will definitely shoot 2 3/4" probably 3" with that Magnum designation likely too early to shoot 3 1/2" though.

asked a couple skeet hunters, they say it will work fine, might want to look for a magazine extension for skeet killin

For the chamber size look on the barrel. I know if the chamber is for 2-3/4 shells only it will be stamped 70mm or possibly 12-70. 3” works out to be 76 mm so look for something like 12-76 on the barrel. Since this is a magnum I would bet you this is a barrel with a 3” chamber and a full choke. This was how waterfowl guns were set up before steel shot was mandated.

As for clay targets, it depends on if you are shooting clays in a pasture somewhere or formal trap and skeet. For trap it would do fine. For skeet you want an open choke, which means another barrel. I think that barrels from a 302 or 303 will fit and are out there, but are not common. You will only need the capacity to shoot max two shots before reloading in the formal games so no need for a magazine extension. For pasture clays, there are no rules.

I owned a 302 back when. Good reliable gun, you should be happy with your 301. Enjoy!
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Hmm ok next time I at my mums I have a look at the barrel

Yah, sorry, as is obvious I know nothing about competition clay shooting, the guys i talked to thought I meant me and my buddies, we try get as many in the air as possible and shoot them all, I've been informed this is called "being 'silly' " not sporting clays

Sounds more like having fun than being silly
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by R&R Rancher View Post
    Sounds more like having fun than being silly
    depends on who you ask, these guys have vests and everything

it's more fun when you shoot with vests....
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

10. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

R&R Rancher (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    it's more fun when you shoot with vests....
    Even I have a vest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast