Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie needs to know

So Iím banging my head trying to come up with a suitable handgun for this newbie?? I my research says Glock but Iím reviewing the Norinco NP22, it flys as a very good to excellent starter gun!!

Iím an old long gun expert but have not discharhed a gun in 28 years! Back in the day I bagged 34 of the 36 big game animals I got in my sights, 2 were exceptional trophies with my compound bow! Some 40 years ago I did some target shooting with friendsí 9mm handguns. I was told my aim was exceptional with both restricted and non-restricted firearms! We will see now that Iím older and my eyesight, stamina, strength, and coordination has declined somewhat!

Find someone to take you to the range. Try theirs. If you get along with Glocks (I don't) it's easy to find one that will take a slide mounted dot. That would help with the eyesight.

Trying before buying is the best you can do if possible. I never would have guessed I preferred revolvers to autos if not for friendly folks at my club sharing theirs.
    Make the Afghanistan War Memorial publicly accessible https://afghanistanwarmemorial.ca/
    Don't let the public forget about #LAVSCAM https://lavscam.info

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

lone-wolf (08-14-2019), Stew (08-14-2019), Suputin (08-15-2019)

"...suitable handgun for this newbie..." For serious/semi-serious bullseye shooting? Or just for fun?
    Either way, like Doug says, start by talking to other club members and trying their stuff(it'd be highly unusual for any shooter to refuse a polite request). And go to your local shop(where you are matters a bit) to try a few on for size. A handgun must fit your hand.
    And decide on a budget.

in addition to trying before you buy..also consider accessories and ammo. Glock mags are cheap and there are lots of aftermarket options (not just for mags but also for holsters and parts if you ever want to upgrade the trigger, for example)...less so for the Norc...and the same applies if you go with readily available ammo like 9mm vs. something more exotic like 10mm.

RL
    Win the crowd and you win your freedom

Glock are great.

Excellent starter gun. I think someone is selling a nice Glock 21 here. I would have been tempted to get it if I didn't already have one myself. Also I have a FastFire3 mounted on mine.

If you are not sure try before you buy. Lots of ranges have rental firearms.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I went with what I liked the looks of, 1911s, and I'm a traditional fellow so I went with a 45, and it worked out for me.
    Any of them in particular catches your eye? Try em out.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Yeah my First pistol was a 45 ACP 1911, but that was back when you could get a box for under 15$. I would say CZ SP01, or Shadow.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

labradort (08-14-2019), Roland Deschain (08-17-2019)

Big CZ sale on now. I think mostly in Ontario. Tenda, FOC, Al Flaherty, Bullseye, etc.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    Big CZ sale on now. I think mostly in Ontario. Tenda, FOC, Al Flaherty, Bullseye, etc.
    I would look at prices before jumping on any of these sales.. Tenda has a P10C on sale, that is just the regular price, for the last couple months.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast