Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I couldn't resist..

Well talk about an impulse buy! I found a new Uberti 1883 "Burgess" lever action in 45 long colt for an unbeleivable price. (Thanks Shooters Choice!)
    I love lever actions and have always wanted something in 45 colt, so I bought it.
    I reload for all of my other rifles and I'll probably reload for this beauty as well. Does anyone have any advice or tried and true recipes that they love?

No advice on loads, but gotta love that impulse. I purposely stayed away from their hunting sale this year, went to a car show instead.
    Lots of beautifully restored vehicles for eye candy. The impulse is still there, but the prices are an order of magnitude greater.
    This all original beater was calling my name, but the 40k asking price brought me back to earth... otoh, now a Citori doesn't sound quite as extravagant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By LB303

Billythreefeathers (08-18-2019), Dewey Cox (08-17-2019), firemachine69 (08-27-2019), Rory McCanuck (08-17-2019)

Lucky you Remmy!
    Aren't those pretty?
    Can't help you with any magical 45 Colt loads, but it should certainly be fun to play with.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Congrats on the 45 colt, I had a Ruger single action 45 colt many years ago that I loaded for. Don't have any of that old data I used but I do remember those big slugs.

You have to work up the load for that particular rifle. I'd be thinking cast bullets of a weight that'd depend on the barrel length and rifling twist. Uberti uses a 1 in 16 twist in their .45 Colt firearms.
    Hodgdon's site doesn't list .45 Colt rifle loads, but the hand gun loads will do nicely as they tested with a 1 in 16 barrel. I"d use the 230 grain, cast, LRNFP's(it's a flat point. They feed like hot dam in my Series 70 Colt .45 ACP), only because I use 'em in .45 ACP. Hodgdon shows 'em as .452" diameter. An increase of bullet weight also increases the felt recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    You have to work up the load for that particular rifle. I'd be thinking cast bullets of a weight that'd depend on the barrel length and rifling twist. Uberti uses a 1 in 16 twist in their .45 Colt firearms.
    Hodgdon's site doesn't list .45 Colt rifle loads, but the hand gun loads will do nicely as they tested with a 1 in 16 barrel. I"d use the 230 grain, cast, LRNFP's(it's a flat point. They feed like hot dam in my Series 70 Colt .45 ACP), only because I use 'em in .45 ACP. Hodgdon shows 'em as .452" diameter. An increase of bullet weight also increases the felt recoil.
    There is no 45 Colt rifle loads. Because 45 Colt is a pistol cartridge, Thus uses pistol load data. And normally heavier bullet means less felt recoil. Why you think everybody is moving to 147grns in a 9mm?
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Congrats,
    Pretty little rig! A stout pistol load would make for a nice little short range setup. How many deer have fallen to the 44-40? Back in the day when it was more about hunting than shooting....

Anyway-- Their lloads were tested in a T/C Contender with 10-inch barrel. The 250 gr. XTP JHP bullet,
    17.8 gr. AA #9 powder, for 1300 fps.
    21.4 gr. H4227 powder, for 1350 fps
    24.2 gr. IMR 4227 powder for 1300 fps.

These are MAXIMUM LOADS, and should be worked toward with all due caution.

45 Colt Rifle data from the Sierra Loading Manual

CamPro has data for their 250gn 45 Colt bullets here
    Last edited by Czy_Horse; 08-19-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Take a kid fishing, hunting and/or shooting.

Well, I settled on using Trail Boss powder and I picked up a bag of Campro 250gr. RNFT bullets to play with. The selection of bullets in my local gun shops leaves a lot to be desired so after I go through this bag of 500 I'll be ordering online. In fact, I may even go ahead and do that just for something different to play with.

Update on the new Uberti rifle...
    I made up a couple of dummy rounds and discovered that something isn't right.
    The rounds seem to get hung up as they are about to enter the chamber. I checked my crimp and it looks good. OAL is bang on as well.
    If you use your finger and play with the round a little it'll chamber and eject just fine. But the casings are coming out scratched to heck.
    I've been told that it just needs to be broke in so I've been loading and ejecting the dummy rounds a LOT. It seems to be getting a little better. I think.
    Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast