Sporting gun advocacy group says recreational weapons are economic drivers

Aug 24 2019
    Canada

Canadians spent $8.5 billion on hunting and sports shooting 2018, with Albertans accounting for more than $1 billion of that number, shows a new survey from the Conference Board of Canada.

The survey was commissioned by the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA) and explores the economic impact of recreational weapons in the country.

For Alison de Groot, the managing director of CSAAA, an advocacy group for Canadian businesses within the firearms industry, the numbers indicate that government gun policies need to consider effects on businesses.

“I think it’s really important that the industry be part of this conversation and that politicians also talk about jobs and our economy in Canada,” said de Groot, who was in Edmonton at Phoenix Indoor Range and Gun Shop to announce the survey results.

The survey also found that the recreational weapons industry accounted for about 48,000 jobs in Canada in 2018, including an estimated 5,000 full-time equivalent jobs in Alberta.

“Alberta’s not in the best position to sacrifice 5,000 jobs right now, and that’s what’s at stake when we start talking about policy that will eliminate these jobs,” de Groot said.

The Liberal government has signalled in recent months that they support a ban on assault-style weapons but not handguns. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has asked the federal government to allow cities to impose handgun bans at their discretion, while Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has said he wants to ensure that all gun rules respect the rights of “honest firearm owners.”

Len Kucey is a co-owner of the Phoenix Indoor Range and Gun Shop in east Edmonton. He says all the patrons at his store and range only use firearms recreationally and that his business follows procedures to sell weapons safely and in accordance with government regulations.

A handgun ban would be “devastating” to his business, Kucey said.

“It would be total devastation all around, for the landlord, employees, owners, our members,” Kucey said, adding that the only changes to gun policy he’d like to see is requiring more training for buyers before gun sales.

De Groot hopes future conversations on the gun policy in Canada include people working within the industry.

“We are not mental health experts, we are not crime experts, but we are firearms experts, and I think our industry has a lot to offer whatever government is in place this fall,” she said.

hxxps://edmontonsun.com/news/local-news/sporting-gun-advocacy-group-say-hunting-weapons-are-economic-drivers/

The new $8.5 billion figure is not that much different than the old $5 billion estimate.

Estimates of semi-auto alone were conservatively estimated at around a billion dollars of GDP per year in Canada, with $20 billion having been spent over the past few decades; which was in the ballpark of previous estimates of all firearms $5 billion a year spent in Canada in GDP.
    By the time you include all firearms (and their equipment and tasks), it's probably well near $400 billion spent in Canada (GDP) due to firearms since WWII.

1979 16,420 firearm business licences. 2001 4563 firearm business licences FIREARMS DEALERS DRIVEN OUT OF BUSINESS SINCE 1979 = 11,857
    -- March 2003, Department Of Justice,
    http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/publi...Article201.htm

And a review of Firearms Business Permits issued by the RCMP between 1979 and 1997 shows that the number of firearms dealers has dropped from 8,931 to 2,349 over the last 18 years - that’s 6,582 fewer firearm dealers. Who knows how many jobs have been lost?
    -- September 29, 1999,
    http://www.garrybreitkreuz.com/breit...ess/fire46.htm

Number of firearms licences issued and renewed in 2007 Total issued to businesses 415 as of December 31, 2007, there were 4,981 licensed businesses under the Firearms Act, of which 2,576 were licensed to sell ammunition only. This number includes licenced carriers and museums.
    -- Commissioner of Firearms Report 2007

Number of firearms licences issued and renewed in 2010 Total issued to businesses 1,626 as of December 31, 2010, there were 4,465 firearms businesses, including carriers and museums, in Canada, licensed under the Firearms Act. Of these, 2,464 are licensed to sell ammunition only.
    -- Commissioner of Firearms Report 2010

As of December 31, 2011, there were 4,390 firearms businesses, not including carriers and museums, in Canada, licensed under the Firearms Act. Of these, 2,410 are licensed to sell ammunition only.
    -- Commissioner of Firearms Report 2011

As of December 31, 2017, there were 4,478 firearms businesses in Canada licensed under the Firearms Act, not including carriers and museums. Of these, 2,022 were licensed to only sell ammunition.
    -- Commissioner of Firearms Report 2017

In 1979 there were 6,882 businesses with permits to sell ammunition only.
    In 1980 that dropped to 4,505 the year law came into force.
    It stayed roughly around 4000+ until C68. By 2005 that had fallen to 2,329.
    -- Firearms Statistics (Updated tables) 1996, Commissioner of Firearms Report 2011

recreational weapons
    Smh
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

CSAAA should be using a more aggressive lobbying company than they are. The current ones are an amateur shop with no pull
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Strangeday

Specter Arms (08-28-2019)

Recreational weapons, huh. Axe throwing leagues now forming all over... it's like dart night, only marketed with heavy metal fantasy.
    If pistol leagues took this approach (CoD appeal) you can imagine the hue and cry

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalPost View Post
    Canadians spent $8.5 billion on hunting and sports shooting 2018, with Albertans accounting for more than $1 billion of that number
    Alberta is 11.6% of the population (4.307 million vs 37 million), and
    is spending an overwhelming 11.7% ( 1 / 8.5) of the hunting and sports shooting 2018 amount,
    hugely swinging the Canadian figure !

8. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Rory McCanuck (08-25-2019)

More firearms rules would hurt industry, says sporting arms association

August 24, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta

Edmonton gun owners are telling federal leaders not to pull the trigger on stricter gun regulations for the potentially negative impact they could have on their industry.

The Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association released Saturday preliminary results of an economic impact survey by the Conference Board of Canada.

The report found Albertans spent more than $1 billion on hunting and sport shooting in 2018, and the industry contributed $764 million to the provincial GDP the same year. It was also estimated the industry also accounted for 5,000 full-time equivalent jobs in the province, and 14,000 across the nation.

CSAAA Managing Editor Alison De Groot told CTV News Edmonton the association wants to "expand the conversation beyond the pro- or anti-rhetoric that's at the top level of the debate."

She added, "If we're going to make sound policy here in Canada around firearms, it's really important to consider the economic impact of those policies in addition to other impacts in Canada."

At an event in Toronto earlier this month, while speaking alongside Toronto Mayor John Tory about efforts to reduce gun violence in that city, Trudeau said the Liberals would introduce new gun measures in the party's election platform.

"I very much look forward to the election campaign in which we will be able to share with Canadians our vision for how to keep Canadians safer," Trudeau said at the time. "That involves, yes, strengthening gun control but it also involves investments that ... are so deeply needed in community infrastructure."

But at the Phoenix Indoor Range and Gun Shop in Edmonton, opinions slant in the other direction.

"If there are firearms bans, it will be devastating to this industry," gun shop owner Lennard Kuzey said.

He said more public discussion is needed to counteract the stigma surrounding firearms.

"I see the shooting industry as total sport. It's enjoyed by millions of people, and most of them closeted. They don't tell people they're involved with shooting because the stigma associated with it. They enjoy it, but they don't tell their best friend that they do it."

The report by the Conference Board of Canada measures the economic impact of various outdoor industries, and is expected to be publicly released soon.

hxxps://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/more-firearms-rules-would-hurt-industry-says-sporting-arms-association-1.4563955

the liberals and the anti gun agenda is also preventing many more people from opening firearms related businesses which in turn would provide more employment and more tax revenue.
    Speaking for myself, I closed the firearms related side of my composites business pretty much the day the liberals got elected. In a more favorable political climate I could reopen those doors and hire 3 people and get busy making custom rifle stocks and other odds n ends firearm related...… but that ain't happening under this current regime. It's just no feasible to base long term business plans on hoping the conservatives get elected and do the right thing for us.
    guess we'll see but I strongly believe the people such as the liberals, would rather see us all subservient "lower class".
    -- 45ACPKING;16216915

11. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Rory McCanuck (08-26-2019)