Kel Tec KS7 first impressions

Got my ks7 today. Very nice piece of engineering. Feeding snap caps very well so far. The stop feels good and I have no concern about accidentally blowing off my hand (I don't tend to shoot rapid fire with pump guns anyways). Just a little annoyed that there is no front sling mounting solution out of box...

Compared with 14" HP9 :

Comes with a certificate stating its from vault distribution for warranty purposes, as well as some kel tec decals and the manual.

First Impressions Vid for those interested:

Last edited by driller212; 08-27-2019 at 10:41 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By driller212

Doug_M (08-26-2019), firemachine69 (10-08-2019), Hidyn (08-27-2019), Oatmeal Savage (08-27-2019), Sinbad (08-26-2019)

Kel Tec does make some pretty spiffy looking firearms! I cant watch their right now but I'll have to later.

I haven't seen this one before and it seems right up my alley! Although I do shoot rapid fire with pump guns so I'd have to make sure that pump has a really aggressive grip.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

So I hit up the indoor range tonight and ran 90 slugs through the shotty. My shoulder is in pain for sure lol

I shot 10 mini shell slugs (Federal brand) with no issues

I shot 5 federal 2 3/4" slugs and 75 challenger low recoil 2 3/4" slugs (the ones you can buy by the can).

Recoil wasn't too bad once I started using the push-pull method of shooting, but if I could get my hands on one of those KSG extended recoil pads I'd be pretty happy. I would not even think about shooting a 3" slug out of this thing.

I was having a few failure to extracts, and twice I had some rounds shoot out of the tube as I was racking it. All of the malfunctions appear to be going away the more I shoot it. If I put a couple hundred bird shot through it at some point I wouldnt be surprised if it breaks in and it works reliably. I suspect the failure to extract is the same issue the KSGs had where the chamber was rough, and need to either be broken in or polished. I'll probably polish mine.

The sights are probably some of the worst for slug shooting. I was shooting at 50yds and could not figure out for the life of me where my POI was relative to my POA. I suspect its because there is no rear sight to line up with the front sight, so it makes you shoot +/- 2 feet lol. I was trying quite hard, and most of the slugs missed the target entirely. I actually shot the string holding up the targets twice by accident which was rather embarrassing.

I am going to have to add a rail and some aftermarket sights on this thing. Something I was not planning to do. It is sufficient for wilderness defense, but I like to be able to shoot a ragged hole at 50 or 100m so Ill probably add some BUIS on a rail once they are available.

Overall I am very impressed with this shotgun. It has some minor issues that I suspect are break in issues based on what I am seeing, and the sight in the carry handle is meh at best, but if you are only shooting this thing inside 20 yards theres nothing to worry about. I just like to push my firearms and my skills to their limits.

I would say if you are interested in one, and patient enough for a <250rd break in, get it. Its a sweet little shotgun!

C'mon! Do you apes wanna live forever!

Hey Driller, I am thinking of picking one of these up for the exact same reasons as you.
    Have you had a chance to put any more rounds through it? Any updates?

FWIW.....I used my KSG for turkey hunting this past spring with success. Wilderness protection aside you CAN hunt with these things at medium/close range.