Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7-08 odd groups

7-08 odd groups

Was testing out a Salvage model 11 7mm08 for a friend yesterday, loads were 41.5, 42, 42.5 grs of Varget with 140 gr Hornady. first group had 2 overlapping and third 1.24 to the right. second group 2 almost touching and third 1.27 to the right last group had 2 1/4" apart with third 1.25 to the right. 41.5 from cold barrel, next 2 groups were from warm barrel, had a chance to cool a bit between groups as I checked target. Barrel is fully floated back to the barrel nut, lots of clearance. Pulled it apart and found the action screws totally different, front screw was over 50inlbs, rear screw was maybe 10inlbs. I'm hoping that is the problem, usually a flyer like that is due to stock and barrel touching but this one has business card clearance. Looks like 41.5 grs of Varget has a lot of potential, would be better for me if I had the dies so I could do the reloading as well as testing, my friend was away so couldn't shoot it. We are wondering if the light flexable stock might be a problem as well. I haven't had a lot of time behind Salvage rifles.

Was this from a lead sled or some other gun vise, bipod, shooting bag, was there a rear bag?

The cheaper Savage stocks can be forced to touch the barrel with less effort than you’d think. Even with the beaver tail forend on my 12FV I wouldn’t dare put a bipod on it, and it’s considerably reinforced over their inexpensive hunting synthetics. I found keeping the rest/bag away from the tip of the forend helps avoid inadvertent flexing of the stock. The Savage/Stevens 200 stocks were the worst of the lot according to some (grey plastic), but I could still coax 3/4” groups with cheap Winchester white box out of the .223 I used to have.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Also, the grip is a weak spot with a lot of flex.
    Tightening your grip, or pulling it in tighter to your shoulder, or pushing down against the rest can all change point of impact wildly.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

"...back to the barrel nut..." That's too far. Bedding should go to the chamber area only.
    42.5 of Varget is a tick over current Max. Not enough to worry about as it's just the difference between manuals. 42.2 is Max according to Hodgdon. Mind you, you should be starting with the Start load and not picking one.
    "...pushing down against the rest can..." Isn't just 'can'. It will move a floated barrel. Said floating guaranteeing nothing. And any synthetic can and will bend a wee bit with very little pressure. (So do wood stocks though. Does on my old Cooey with the M70A walnut stock on it.) It's actually the barrel, not the stock though. Moreso because this Savage isn't bedded correctly.
    However, 1.25" ain't shabby for a hunting rifle. A Model 11 is a hunting rifle. Lots of shooters/hunters would sell/trade their mothers for a factory hunting rifle that shoots 1.25" groups. Even if it isn't bedded right. I'd load a bunch at 41.5 and see how consistently it shoots 1.25". And don't worry about where the groups hit. That's dealt with when your buddy, not you, sights the thing in.

Sand bags front and rear, been using them for 30 years or more. Won't use a lead sled, seen a few to many stocks splitting. I usually place the front bag just behind the front swivel if there is one, there is with this rifle. The young lady that owns this rifle is talking a better stock in the future as funds permit, All groups hit in a consistent area on the target, last shot is thrown out. Will be interesting to try some 5 shot groups.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I haven't had a lot of time behind Salvage rifles.
    Was it in some kind of an accident? That might cause problems!

....couldn't help myself, sorry!

Seriously though, my Savage rifles have terrible flex. Even the accustock. They shoot really well in the junk stocks though, I'm sure they'll be like a laser beam when I get some new stocks.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Hidyn

3MTA3 (08-30-2019)

I had a Savage with the plastic stock.... grouped ok to 150 yds then opened up from there. Over 200 yds it looked more like shotgun patterning. Put a Boyd's on it and it shot great out to 400
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf; 08-30-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Tikka's are the only rifles with synthetic stocks I have shot much, no issues with them in the accuracy department. I also have a Rem. 783 that works fine and it has a crappy flexible stock. Hope to get to shoot this Salvage a bit more in the neat future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast