Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Purchasing First Firearm - Suggestions Welcome

Hi Forum,

I recently got PAL (Both Restricted & Non-Restricted). I am based in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

I will be buying my first firearm soon. I have zeroed in on Mossberg Maverick 88 Security Shotgun, 12 Gauge, 18.5" Barrel.

I liked this firearm for 2 main reasons -
    a. It is a non restricted firearm, hence easy to transport as it requires no permits (I do not have a shooting range membership yet).
    b. It is very cost effective. (Doesn't cost a fortune).

I would appreciate if experienced members in this forum could answer following questions -
    1. What would be the best type of ammunition for this shotgun? Minimum quantity of ammunition I should purchase?
    2. The best method to store this gun at home? I was planning to buy a rifle case and store the shotgun (covered in silicone treated gun sock) in it. However not sure if this would be best method?

I would appreciate your valuable insights on the above mentioned.

Thanks
    Newbie2019

I guess we should back up a step here. What do you want to do with this firearm?

3. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

Good choice. Maverick 88’s are one tough gun, and probably the best bargain priced pump shotgun on the market. They’re built by Mossberg and most parts are identical to the Mossberg 500. The safety has been moved from the tang to the trigger guard, and the trigger assembly is made a little more inexpensively. The action bars are moulded into the plastic forend IIRC, so if you ever want to swap it out with 500 parts, you may need a few extra bits.

It should do fine with any 2-3/4” or 3” 12 gauge ammunition. I like to shoot a lot of target loads in the shotguns, they’re far more economical and more than enough for pop bottles and cardboard (clean up your garbage). You can even *gasp* use them for shooting at clays, which can be interesting with a riot length barrel. These will usually contain shot in the #7 to #9 range, be 2-3/4” in length with low brass and light loads.
    Buckshot, slugs and game loads for bird hunting will be more expensive, sometimes considerably. I’d avoid spending money on the game loads with the improved cylinder barrel, for target shooting it won’t do much the target loads won’t do. Fire slugs if you want a single projectile, buckshot if you want to make eight or nine largish holes in something. Either of these would be good as a defensive round if you take your gun camping. I usually buy 2-3/4” length in buck and slug, you don’t lose a whole lot of performance from the 3” rounds, but they do seem to kick a hair less.
    I’d start with lighter target loads if you haven’t shot much before and work your way up to the heavier stuff. It really depends what you want to do, the beauty of a shotgun is the variety of ammunition you can get for them. May as well try it all....

I don’t like storing in a padded case. The case can trap humidity/moisture up against the firearm, I’ve seen more than one gun turn a nasty shade of orange stored in one. If you do choose that route, make sure it’s clean, moisture free and keep a light coat of oil on it inside and out.

Man I’m long winded. Must be the long weekend....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Attilathecanuk (08-31-2019), Gunexpert007 (08-30-2019), Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I guess we should back up a step here. What do you want to do with this firearm?
    In the context of being able to answer the question about what type of ammo, I agree that that is an appropriate question.
    Outside of that context, it is nobody’s business what the OP wants to use it for, least of all our government.

Please understand that I’m not trying to be rude or condescending, I just believe that people should think hard about who they tell what too, and what they write on the internet.
    Perhaps I’m being paranoid.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

Buddy (11-10-2019), Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

I love my maverick 88, but it helped that my buddy had a few 500 parts sitting around so I could mess with it hahaha. Another alternative if you are looking for a cheap semi would be an SKS.
    "Canadians expend about half a billion rounds of ammunition per year (ammunition import statistics). If guns are the cause of homicide, we're missing 99.9999992% of the time." from Range Bob

9. The Following User Liked This Post By GonZo

Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    In the context of being able to answer the question about what type of ammo, I agree that that is an appropriate question.
    Outside of that context, it is nobody’s business what the OP wants to use it for, least of all our government.

Please understand that I’m not trying to be rude or condescending, I just believe that people should think hard about who they tell what too, and what they write on the internet.
    Perhaps I’m being paranoid.
    If he wants to shoot clays, I’m most certainly not doing any favours by suggesting buckshot or slugs. But I might suggest a bit longer barrel.

Don’t get me wrong, but a short barreled shotgun really isn’t a great choice for a first firearm. Unless he just wants to go for a walk on some crown land and destroy some targets or cardboard boxes, then it’s more than adequate.

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By JustBen

Gunexpert007 (08-30-2019), Newbie2019 (09-01-2019), Swingerguy (08-30-2019)

1. figure out what you gonna do with it and buy tons of ammo. If you just going to shoot it at a range, they may only allow 00 buck shot and slugs. There is no point in getting anything else. If you shoot trap or clay, you wouldn't want slugs or buck shot. You burn through them quick if you are active. So buy in bulk and consider reloading.
    2. Get a safe/cabinet. The biggest one you can squeeze in your home or safely haul in the door. It's gonna be big for just one shot gun but you got room for company. Get a case for transporting.
    3. Not being a member of a club doesn't prevent you from getting a restricted. They never asked on my first restricted and I made the purchase before I got in a club. You will not get approved right away. I applied to a club shortly after I got my license and it was weeks after I got in before I actually got my restricted.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

It's not that easy for a new shooter to find a place to shoot and get into the hobby, and especially if your first firearm is nonrestricted and you are in the GTA. For me, that start came from trapshooting. You get to fire hundreds of rounds, not too expensive, and there are places in the GTA where you can do that without being a member. For that you need a longer barrel shotgun. For that purpose, I would recommend a Beretta semi auto. You can buy them used. I could go on all day about guns and ammo for that. If you interested, let me know (on this thread, or PM, doesn't matter).
    CSSA CCFR CPC

15. The Following User Liked This Post By TJSpeller

Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

A Maverick 88 is a great choice for a first shotgun ; but I would go with the 28 inch barrel with chokes as it would be a better option for skeet and/or hunting . I think they had the Maverick 88 on sale at Cabela's not that long ago for $269 , and free shipping . For storage , all you need is a trigger lock to meet legal requirements ; and just lean it in your closet out of sight . Stack On gun cabinets come on sale quite often for around $100 at Canadian Tire if you want something a little more secure. For ammo , just get some #4 birdshot for general blasting , and #7.5 for skeet . Buy in bulk as it is quite a bit cheaper . Welcome to the shooting sports ; Enjoy......
    " Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ The warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm. " .... " And I looked , and behold a pale horse ; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."...." I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the LORD, when I lay my vengeance upon them.” ; Ezekiel 25:17

17. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunexpert007

Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

last I checked target was still taking people.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

19. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

Newbie2019 (09-01-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast