Battlefield Finds Safety (Mortar Shells)

The other day one of my students had a "present" for me, the tail from (I'm assuming) a Russian 120mm mortar shell, which he found in a field near his house, just North of Warsaw, East of the Wisła river and South of the Narew river.

It's most likely from when the Russians were advancing West in the summer of '44 and approaching Warsaw around July and August 1944, which was the impetus for the Warsaw Uprising on August 1. Of course, the Russians were more than happy to park on the eastern bank of the Wisła River for the rest of 1944, while the Germans crushed the uprising, deported and killed everyone and destroyed over 85% of the city. The Russians didn't enter Warsaw until January 17, 1945.

Anyhow, are there any safety concerns I should be aware of regarding the propellant charge in the tail, before I start to clean it up?

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg
    Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

I am not an ammo guy or eod guy I would assume no, if fired the propellant would have burned .

A local military base might be able to help if they are like Canada

RobertMcC
    Any doubt.. Throw matches at it. Pretty sure its fired. Normally after a mortar shoot. We would pile up the un used charges and catch it on fire. It burned like smokeless powder.