Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gun Safe Query

Hi Forum,

Does anyone have experience with Stack-On Stand-Up Home Defense Safe

It is being sold at Cabela's for $230. Here's the link to the website and a picture below for reference.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo....uts?slotId=12

65774880_403326416985284_846965636997492846_n.jpg

I got interested in this safe because of its low cost and the fact that is a Stack-On. However, there are lot of critical reviews for this on the internet (Amazon, Cabelas etc).
    Can someone please shed some light on this.

Thanks
    Last edited by Newbie2019; 09-02-2019 at 06:02 AM.

Reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. Often it's just people who expected too much.
    Basically it's a metal box with a lock. Branding is irrelevant.
    btw I get 'page unavailable' from that link. Was just trying to confirm the capacity.
    It looks like a 3 gun capacity? Maybe 5? Might sound like enough right now, but that will likely change.
    My advice is to get the cheap green stack-on which will hold up to 8.
    Then as you diversify, get another.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

It's California certified, so it's fine legally in Canada. (exceeds the Barnes decision too)
    It's a "safe" so handguns need not have trigger locks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    It looks like a 3 gun capacity? Maybe 5?
    It says 3 long guns plus 4 handguns. Presumably that's 3 hunting rifles without scopes (as opposed to an AR which is taller than a hunting rifle).
    It's ridiculously small, unless the restriction isn't what's going into it but rather that there's only one place for it to go.
    Another link
    https://www.stack-on.com/product/sta...-defense-safe/

It'll come with bolt down holes.

It's a stack on, so it's probably 12 gauge steel on the door (just over 2mm thick), and 14 gauge steel on the walls (just over 1.5mm thick). So if you hit it hard enough with a screwdriver you'll right through. The deadbolts are not well supported, making it more vulnerable to pry bars.

I've never been fond of the electrical keypads (several failure modes), but at least this one you can replace the battery from the outside. It has an easily pickable emergency key located under the electrical keypad, near where you replace the battery. Some people use their gun safes 10 times a day, and the speed of an electrical keypad is wonderous to them. Your mileage may vary.

Is it available in Canada?
    The $230 price is in US dollars. So 230 / 0.75 * 1.13 = $350 assuming you can fetch it. More if delivered.

If the original poster isn't in any hurry, the Stack-On 12-Gun Safe (Canadian Tire Product #175-5890-4) is similar but obviously larger. Still small. Regular price $699 but it goes on sale a few times a year. It has a mechanical combination lock that's cheap (compared to a decent 'Sargent and Greenleaf'), but no batteries.

Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas or another local gun store, often has several gun safes in stock. Most will be both significantly larger and more expensive. If nothing else you can find a 14 gauge steel one and poke a finger on the side to watch how little force it takes to flex.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 09-01-2019 at 09:29 PM.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    My advice is to get the cheap green stack-on which will hold up to 8.
    Depending upon the original poster's goals, that might be a good idea.

I presume you mean this sort of thing
    Stack On 8-Gun Cabinet. Canadian Tire Product #075-5676-4
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...-0755676p.html
    (also California certified)

It's a "cabinet" so handguns need to have trigger locks. Since you have to have trigger locks to transport, and you can't shoot your handguns at home, this isn't remotely a problem. One trigger lock for every handgun.

Might consider some BoreStore (gun socks).
    https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...-prod1850.aspx

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

LB303 (09-02-2019), Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Depending upon the original poster's goals, that might be a good idea.

I presume you mean this sort of thing
    Stack On 8-Gun Cabinet. Canadian Tire Product #075-5676-4
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...-0755676p.html
    (also California certified)

It's a "cabinet" so handguns need to have trigger locks. Since you have to have trigger locks to transport, and you can't shoot your handguns at home, this isn't remotely a problem. One trigger lock for every handgun.

Might consider some BoreStore (gun socks).
    https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...-prod1850.aspx
    Yes exactly. It satisfies the legal requirement of preventing unauthorized access without going unneccessarily "theft proof" since a determined thief with cordless power tools can defeat any of them. I would install it oriented so that it's impossible to get any leverage with a pry bar on the latching side.

The gun socks are a nice idea for the guns that don't come out to play that often. Sold under various brand names but they all seem the same.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Don't worry about the security of it. They're all the same. I've seen exactly one safe in the past 20 years that was being used for gun storage that I couldn't open with a cordless grinder in under 10 minutes. You'll outgrow it quickly though. If Costco puts those First Alert or whatever they're called safes on sale again, I hope somebody posts it. I could use 2 more right now.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

LB303 (09-02-2019), Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Don't worry about the security of it.
    Yes, I agree. Unless there's something in the neighbourhood worth considering. (relatives, local crime https://www.crimereports.com/ )

They're all the same.
    Under $1000, yep. Most of the popular 'gun safe' brands you're going to see in Bass Pro or Cabellas, yep again.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/ is a good step up. Thicker gauge walls and doors, strongly supported bolts and linkages. Top of the residential secure container list. ~$2,000 (bigger is more $, smaller is fewer $)

Then there's UL listed safes. C rating. TL-30X6 (30 minutes 6 sides; hammers, chisels, pry-bars, grinding wheels, carbide-tipped drills), TRTL-60X6 (60 minutes 6 sides; torch resistant), TXTL 60x6 (60 minutes 6 sides; explosive resistant). By Amsec or Graffunder. ~$50,000.

https://canadiansafe.ca makes their Hunter Safes, which are better than you'd find in Bass Pro. I don't see the prices listed any more. They used to make a small Class C safe (handguns not long guns), but I don't see it listed today.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 09-01-2019 at 10:19 PM.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

Don't worry about the security of it. They're all the same. I've seen exactly one safe in the past 20 years that was being used for gun storage that I couldn't open with a cordless grinder in under 10 minutes. You'll outgrow it quickly though. If Costco puts those First Alert or whatever they're called safes on sale again, I hope somebody posts it. I could use 2 more right now.
    I opened dads with a crow bar and hammer. 15 minutes. Something broke in the tumbler. Very cheaply made. Combination lock was held together with a nyla lock nut.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

15. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

If there is a Costco near you check out the Protector First Alert. It’s bigger than what you are looking at. Usually between $350 and $400 Canadian dollars. Online it shows much more as the free delivery is crap and you get charged for it.
    Had a couple of issues when new, the door bolts we not tight and I had to tighten them and the red positive wire broke at the battery holder. Resoldered it and have had no other issues in 5 years. I could have taken it back to Costco but was more of a pain than to fix it.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

17. The Following User Liked This Post By Reeferman

Newbie2019 (09-02-2019)

I need a bigger safe.

You'll always need a bigger safer.

Always get 10 times what you think you need.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

19. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By linung

KleeR (09-02-2019), LB303 (09-02-2019), lone-wolf (09-02-2019), Newbie2019 (09-02-2019), RangeBob (09-01-2019), ruger#1 (09-02-2019), Swingerguy (09-01-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast