Thread: machete

machete

trying to figure out what edge and level of sharpness for whacking some globe cedars into shape

Into what sort of shape?

It's usually Abstract Expression of Debris Field when I go a swinging
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I try to treat mine like an axe edge. Make too fine of an edge and it dulls and dings quickly, though I can’t say I’ve ever used it as a hedge trimmer. Mostly clearing space and making construction materials for hunting blinds. I have a Cold Steel Kuhkri (spelling?) which is made of thicker material than some of the standard shapes though.

It was kind of fascinating watching the gardeners in the Dominican use a machete for literally everything. Digging holes for potting plants, trimming the hedges, edging the lawn around the walks, repairing divots in the grass. We hung out with them for a bit and brought them a couple beers. There’s a photo of them pushing both our wives around in a wheelbarrow somewhere...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

No 'h' in kukri. H's cost more. snicker. A kukri isn't a machete though. It's a big knife. The really big types are ceremonial tools.
    Have a W.W. II Brit issue machete(Bolo style, Camillus, I think) that'll take down a 4" oak with 2 whacks. Isn't quite an axe edge(that's 25 degrees) or a knife edge(that's 20 degrees). Never measured it. It's not shaving sharp though. It's more about the quality of the steel than anything else anyway.
    Don't think a machete is the right tool for a globe cedar. Those being more bush than tree. Hedge clippers would work better. Depends on the size of the bush though.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.