Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Whatever you end up choosing, do yourself a favor and buy it somewhere other than Cabelas. You'll save yourself at least $50 on the gun and buy ammo with it.

Hi All,

So i bought Mossberg Maverick 88 Combo barrel.

I have following 2 questions -

1. Should I apply some Gun oil to the brand new gun before storage? Is it a must or an optional thing?

2. I will be storing this shotgun in a Stack-On cabinet. Should I absolutely use a dehumidifier in the cabinet to prevent rusting?

Please clarify the above mentioned queries. I appreciate all responses in advance.

Have a nice day!

Thanks

An 870, 88 and 500 disassemble in the exact same way.
    An 870 barrel can go over $300(Cabela's Canada wants $339.99 for an 870 barrel. $289.99 for an M500/M88 barrel. However, there is tons of aftermarket stuff for 870's that is not available for Mossbergs. Dunno why.
    "...My dad has..." Pop's LOP too long or too short? Assuming a wooden stock, both are easily fixed with a mitre box/saw and a recoil pad.
    1) New stuff comes from the factory coated with a rust preventative. You need to clean it before shooting it, but not necessarily for immediate storage.
    2) Depends on where you have the cabinet. Basements tend to be damp(not all of 'em of course. My Ma's basement was cool and dry. Temperature varied about 10 degrees all year.), but bedroom closets are not.
    Most gun cabinets are not air tight, but a low wattage(25 watts) light bulb, left on all the time, will raise the temperature in the cabinet enough to stop condensation happening. The whole thing goes away if you put the thing in a dry place. Bedroom closets tend to be dry and gun cabinets fit in 'em nicely.
    You'll probably have to drill a hole in the back of the cabinet for the cable. Drilling steel does not require any special tools. Eye protection is mandatory though. The size of the hole will depend on how and what you're powering. Smaller hole if you put the connector on yourself.
    Last edited by Justice; 09-27-2019 at 09:12 AM.

It’s generally a good idea to clean a new gun thoroughly and apply some sort of protectant. Doing a basic field strip will help make you familiar with the firearm, and you get rid of any debris that may be left from production (I find this more on less expensive guns). The factory will sometimes apply a shipping oil or grease of some sort that can eventually gunk up your firearm with use, best to get rid of it and start out with a quality lubricant.

The Stack on cabinets aren’t air tight, but a dehumidifier or desiccant will help. You can get by with frequent inspection of your firearms and reapplying whatever product you’re using as rust prevention occasionally.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's your first gun.
    Take it apart, clean it, fondle it, get to know it.
    Stay up late with it and tell it your dreams.
    Rub some g96 on it.
    My first gun (like my first child) got by the book care and attention.
    The rest of my guns (like the rest of my children) get whatever I have time for.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

kennymo (09-28-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-27-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12