Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unique powder and the .45 Colt

Wow...there are SO many opinions when it comes to loads using Unique powder for .45 Colt!
    I've played the Trail Boss powder and it was ok, no real complaints other than what may have been my preconceived notion of the power that I would see. Shooting the Campro RNFP jacket bullets with 6.0 gr. of Trail Boss and the bullet would go through a single 6 inch log and then stop dead with NO deformation of the projectile. The only way that you could tell that projectile had been fired was because of the rifling marks and powder marks. Very interesting!
    A lot of people recommended using Unique...especially if I want to work up a hunting load for Whitetail.
    Has anyone had any experience reloading with Unique for .45 Colt? Should I be just using lead bullets or do the jacket Campro bullets and Unique powder make a good combo in your opinion?
    Ready? Go!

I use Unique in 45 Colt with the 250 grain Campro bullets. Mine is a Ruger Bisley with a 7 1/2” barrel. An easy shooting load is 8.0 grains of Unique. I also use many other powders as Unique isn’t the best metering powder on my LNL but it stays within .2 grains which really doesn’t make much difference at that load.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

I should also mention that I'm loading for a carbine with a 20 inch barrel...

Can’t help you with that.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

I don't recall seeing any hunting bullets from Campro. I use Campro for my 9mm. They work fine for target practice.

For hunting you kind of want one of those synthetic tips. They maintain a streamlined bullet profile and expand on contact to give maximum stopping power. A soft lead point will also work and is usually more affordable.
    Memeber of NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Now that I have my glasses on and can read you would want to go with a Hornady XTP or similar for what you want to do.
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

"...there are SO many opinions when it comes to..." Any particular powder in any cartridge. Saying one powder is better than another will pretty much guaranteed to start an ugly argument. snicker.
    There's lots of .45 Colt data using Unique of Alliant's site. Just not under rifles. It'd be the same data but the velocities will of course be different.
    "...through a single 6 inch log and then stop dead..." At what distance? What bullet weight? You can think of a jacketed RNFP like an FMJ. Those will tend to go through stuff without expanding depending on the range and how hard that 6" tree was. However, Campro bullets are not jacketed. They're plated. Ain't the same thing. Still won't likely deform on a soft log.
    Plated bullets use cast bullet data. Hodgdon's site only shows cast bullet data for Trail Boss. 6 grains is almost Max for a 230.
    In any case, what powder you use and how much doesn't matter as much as accuracy for hunting. The bullet matters too. I don't think plated bullets are that good for hunting. Even though a cast bullet will work just fine. Cast bullets being the OEM for the .45 Colt. I'd be thinking an XTP or a JHP for deer. Keeping in mind that the Colt uses a .452" bullet.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

RemmyPCR700 (09-21-2019)

If you take into consideration all the different powders for any load usually there is one that turns out to be the most accurate. Easy to see as it will be marked in the list of options. Now you have to take into consideration the gun it was used in however it will give you a great place to start.

Always be careful when taking advice from someone on the internet. To say "what powder you use and how much doesn't matter" is stupidity at a PhD level.

On another military forum I frequent a few years back a village idiot started talking about max. loads for .303 British...he was booted/banned so quickly it probably made his head spin. That type of poster always gets the boot, some forums just take a little longer than others.

I stay away from Unique as much as possible only because I do not like the way that it meters. I stick with ball powders like Titegroup and 231, or short grain like Bullseye or 2400

Unique is so versatile, though... But for jacketed bullets in a carbine that you probably want a bit of stomp out of, maybe look at 2400?***

I only shoot cast (Cactus Plains) out of revolvers. I did have a Rossi 92 at one point but I sold it along before I really worked up a load for it. I was using 2400 for that.

*** Edit - provided you're shooting something with a strong action and not something like a Henry clone or 1873
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...there are SO many opinions when it comes to..." Any particular powder in any cartridge. Saying one powder is better than another will pretty much guaranteed to start an ugly argument. snicker.
    There's lots of .45 Colt data using Unique of Alliant's site. Just not under rifles. It'd be the same data but the velocities will of course be different.
    "...through a single 6 inch log and then stop dead..." At what distance? What bullet weight? You can think of a jacketed RNFP like an FMJ. Those will tend to go through stuff without expanding depending on the range and how hard that 6" tree was. However, Campro bullets are not jacketed. They're plated. Ain't the same thing. Still won't likely deform on a soft log.
    Plated bullets use cast bullet data. Hodgdon's site only shows cast bullet data for Trail Boss. 6 grains is almost Max for a 230.
    In any case, what powder you use and how much doesn't matter as much as accuracy for hunting. The bullet matters too. I don't think plated bullets are that good for hunting. Even though a cast bullet will work just fine. Cast bullets being the OEM for the .45 Colt. I'd be thinking an XTP or a JHP for deer. Keeping in mind that the Colt uses a .452" bullet.

Just like Cast Bullets, not all Plated Bullets are the same. I suggest you go to Campro's web site and download Campro's readily available data for their 45LC 250gn RNFP bullet. You will find it lists the same quantities of Powder as listed in the Hodgdon 2017, 2018, 2019 Annuals and/or Hodgdon On-Line Data for Hornady 250gn XTP's in a 45LC revolver.
    http://www.campro.ca/images/45COLT.pdf

For 'plinking', I use the Campro 44cal 240gn plated bullet and Data @ close to Max. loads of H110 c/w Mag Primers in my Ruger SBH & Marlin 1894 44Mag. Campro Max = Hodgdon 2017-18-19 Annual Max. for a Nosler 240gn HP.
    For 'plinking', I plan on using Campro's 44cal 240gn plated bullets in my 444Marlin, up to the Max. H4895. Max. H4895 load info from Hodgdon 2017-18-19 Annuals for a 240gn Hornady XTP in the 444 Marlin.

Personally, I would not use low velocity 45LC revolver data for hunting with a modern 45LC carbine. If I was reloading for a modern 20" carbine, say a Marlin 1894 in 45LC, I'd be using Ruger-Freedom Arms-T/C Revolver Data that does not exceed the Saami pressure rating of the firearm. Plated, FMJ and Target bullets are not recommended for hunting.
    Take a kid fishing, hunting and/or shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast