Thread: steel shot

steel shot

what kind of issues might i have with #2 steel shot through a full choke? it's a maverick if that makes any difference. i got a modified choke in there currently but am wondering if the shot size would have any damaging effects like bulging or blowing out the barrel versus a larger a shot size like BB or BBB
    spelelluing

Here is a chart that I use. Steel will not compress like lead. You might get a bulge in the end of the barrel. You would have to get that bulge cut off. Then barrel threaded for screw on chokes.

IMAG0845.jpg

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

If your barrel is capable of shooting steel shot, you could damage the barrel if you use a full choke. What you will get though is a blown shot pattern. That’s why it is recommended you go one complete choke size more open, eg to get a proper full choke pattern when using steel shot, use a modified choke.

The following is from the TruLock chokes website:

What chokes do I use with steel, bismuth or tungsten alloy shot?

Steel Shot

As a general rule when switching from lead to steel shot you would use a choke with one full degree less constriction.
    If you want a full pattern with steel use a modified choke.
    If you want a modified pattern with steel use an improved cylinder choke.
    If you want an improved cylinder pattern with steel use a cylinder or skeet choke.
    Do not use any choke tighter than modified constriction with steel shot unless the choke is specifically marked for use with steel shot.
    Bismuth Shot

Use the same choke you would use with the appropriate size of lead shot.
    Tungsten Alloy Shot

There are several different alloys available. These can vary to a large degree in their level of hardness. When using factory chokes I suggest you use nothing tighter than full choke unless it is approved for tungsten shot.
    As a general rule most Trulock chokes are rated for Hevi Shot, Hevi 13, Federal Heavyweight and Winchester Hi Density tungsten alloys.
    Last edited by GTW; 09-08-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

4. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

R&R Rancher (09-08-2019)

Leave that modified house me in if you plan to shoot steel. If you doubt it’s performance take the time and actually pattern it
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

thanx folks
    spelelluing

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    You might get a bulge in the end of the barrel. You would have to get that bulge cut off.

IMAG0845.jpg
    this only applies if your shotgun is semi auto but make sure that the barrel length will be longer than 18.5 inches after you cut it, for obvious reasons.
    أنا أحب البنادق

Ok I’m confused. What does being a semi-auto have to do with the question of the possible effect on a barrel by shooting steel shot through a choke tighter than a modified? What does the type of action have to do with this?
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    Ok I’m confused. What does being a semi-auto have to do with the question of the possible effect on a barrel by shooting steel shot through a choke tighter than a modified? What does the type of action have to do with this?
    He is referring to my statement. Of cutting the barrel and rethreading for a choke. Funny. My over and under has 14" barrels. My single shot has a 13" barrel. And they are legal.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

Ahhh, now I understand. Thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    Funny. My over and under has 14" barrels. My single shot has a 13" barrel. And they are legal.
    i think it's because it was manufactured that way, like the canucks and other shorty shotguns. over-all length cannot be less than 660mm and not have a folding stock, kinda like how they get around that shyte in the states with the shorties
    spelelluing