Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M1 Garand Operations V2

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By adrielm

Hidyn (09-17-2019), road kill (Yesterday)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    That iconic 'ping' of the clip ejecting was (and still is) the sign of the good lords approval of St.J.C.Garand's contribution to the world.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Tonsper (09-11-2019)

I'd like to shoot mine more, if not for its obnoxious habit of throwing brass at my right eye.

I need to find some info on troubleshooting the ejection pattern.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I'd like to shoot mine more, if not for its obnoxious habit of throwing brass at my right eye.

I need to find some info on troubleshooting the ejection pattern.
    Are you shooting right or left handed?

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

I was just curious and was wondering if i can ask you guys a question. Since I can see there’s some really knowledgeable people participating in these forums??? What direction do you see gun laws going? I get confused with all the media. I don’t know what to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Are you shooting right or left handed?
    lefty, and it's a 7.62nato rifle. "Hungry" the M305 tuner guy built it, whether that's a plus or a minus I cannot say
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    lefty, and it's a 7.62nato rifle. "Hungry" the M305 tuner guy built it, whether that's a plus or a minus I cannot say
    If Barney had anything to do with your Garand, you have a very well built rifle. I would give it a good cleaning and grease all the parts that move on one another and see if the ejection pattern changes. The empties should be going forward between the 1 and 4 o'clock position. Could be a weak op rod spring, worn ejector spring or a gas problem. Start with the cheap fixes first.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Thanks for the insights. If I was using an adjustable gas plug set to the minimum for cycling, would that balance out a potential weak op rod spring?

I should pick up an ejector spring.

I did grease it when I got it, and I paint that stuff on pretty good (maybe too much...). I didn't refresh it before shooting it again, but the problem was there from day one

The adjustable gas plug is likely your culprit. Either try a USGI plug or crank yours up a whole lot. Not really needed unless you are using very heavy projectiles or out of spec powders if you reload. The M-1 is not a delicate piece of equipment and can take quite a bit of hard use. I got a real steal of a deal on some Hornady Match King .308/168 gr. that my Garand's devour with no issues at all.

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

The plug was what I bought hoping it would fix the issues, or at least help in diagnosing them. Originally someone advised that on a .308 rifle it was probably a gas issue or an ejector not set up for .308.

From just enough gas to full gas it behaves the same. My old shooting glasses has a scratch on the right lens from it (so I'm not kidding about the 5:00 ejection)

I'll put the original plug back in, since that's not the problem. I'm using the 148Gr CamPros and H4895, so nothing weird.

I expect Wolff has all of the springs I could want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast