Looking for gunsmith advice

I've been shooting my dad's Remington 740 Woodsmaster for just over a decade now. Last time I shot it, two shots I noticed a couple hours later there was a light line along the top of the barrel. No crack, no indent just a light line like mark you could see at an angle. I haven't been able to see the mark since and I was stuck in P.A.L. renewal limbo from April till the end of August so I haven't even had time to fire it again yet. Also kinda worried if I should? At most it gets a box of ammo a year through it to check the zero. Anyone have any insight or advice? I'd hate to have drive it an hour to the nearest gunsmith and cough up the cash for them to tell me its nothing.

Some pics might be helpful
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Rory McCanuck (09-11-2019)

True, but as I stated I can't even find the discolored mark/line now. Hence my issue, I can't find it to show anyone else. Tried to take pictures before the post and can't find it, just the normal wear and tear scuffs and scratches.
    Last edited by Aflip; 09-11-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

I think if it was just the voices in your head it should be safe to shoot?
    Maybe something shows up when it heats up?
    Maybe just something in the finish?
    Hard to say without seeing it.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Most smithies will only charge you if they actually have to do something. However, it's highly unlikely a rifle barrel would crack, but it was most likely just a bit of crud. Moreso since it's disappeared.

I found a mark on my then new CZ 455. I was troubled that the bluing appeared to be missing in that one spot. When I wiped it with an oily rag, it was gone. A few weeks later, it was back. Took me a couple more cleanings and another day at the range to determine that is was tiny trace of white paint from our newly installed rifle racks at our club. Your rifle may have been sitting against something, and something transferred to the metal, then was removed by cleaning.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

Stew (09-14-2019)