Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Forgot to post one hunting tale from a couple weeks ago. I’d been seeing large numbers of deer pass through one particular gate, the same gate where my muzzleloader fizzled on a buck earlier in the season. I decided to set up there in the morning, but there was a rare South wind, so I plunked myself down on the trail to the North instead of my usual spot on the edge of the open field to the South. I got out right at first light, and had been sitting for a couple of hours without seeing anything bigger than a squirrel. The does had typically trucked through by this time, so I poured a cup of tea from the thermos, then decided I’d give it another half hour before relocating. I sat staring into the wind for ten minutes or so when I suddenly got that weird feeling like something was watching me. I turned my head very slowly to the right, and to both our surprise, a 3x3 forkhorn was 10 feet dead downwind of me reaching out like he was about to take a sniff of my pack. I’ve never seen an expression quite like that cross a deer’s face, I can only compare it to a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. We both froze. I slowly started reaching a hand towards the 45/70 in my lap. He started a slow lean in the opposite direction. The instant I tried to snap the rifle up he took the entire width of the trail in a single bound and vanished into the bush with a great deal of panicked snorting and wheezing. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard while alone in the woods...

Lots of ups and downs this season, but unlike the last couple years I got to spend a pretty good chunk of time in the woods. Saw plenty, gained a few good hunting stories, and got my deer which didn’t happen last year either. I’ve got a week and a half off over Christmas this year, hopefully I’ll be bagging a couple coyotes to finish off 2019.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

2012Cvoguy (Today), Dewey Cox (Yesterday), Rory McCanuck (Today)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314