Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by NickYYC View Post
    I do have 4 kids you know. By Canadian standards that automatically makes me "nuts."

We've made up our minds. We're going to try our hands at flag polling for a year in Mexico in an expat community and see if what it's like in South East Asia.

Those "developing" countries are brutal if you are native and poor, but if you port over 20 years of Canadian type savings, you basically can live like royalty.
    I’m not sure if Mexico would be a good resettlement choice, for various reasons. And Honduras Roatan, Utila, or Belize near the Blue Hole might be better choices...

But there are areas of Asia that are heavy expat as well. But a lot of checking first might be required. I know of a few “one with the land” types over there that are big on community.

Costa Rica. If you're going south, Costa Rica is the third oldest democracy in North America and has the 2nd highest literacy rate (after Canada). They have good checks and balances on their democratic system (i.e. term limits). They don't have a military but have a large national police force. They have good programs designed to attract ex-pats. It's really the only choice. All the other central american countries pale in comparison when talking about a stable, safe, democratic nation. Caribbean on one coast and Pacific on the other. A buttload of protected wilderness areas. A city with an ex-pat english speaking population and an english language newspaper.

I don't know what the requirements are now, but 15 years ago if you could prove a $1000US per month pension minimum you could qualify for official foreign pensioner status which grants you all the same entitlements (education, health care etc) as citizens.
    Our freedoms ARE the greater good.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

awndray (10-21-2019), SIR VEYOR (10-21-2019)

Wow. Before you do anything else, before you concoct another scheme to meet the needs of your family, as you interpret those needs, get your own a** to a professional first. It's blatantly clear that you have absolutely zero idea what your family needs right now. You're chasing the answer backwards from what you want the outcome to be. In that sense you are of no help to your family right now...physically, mentally or spiritually. It's ok to be broken, it's not ok to do nothing about it. You have over-compensated in your hobbies, your employment and your desire to earn wealth in order to appear as the top tier family provider. That's not what your family needs. Uprooting your family now is also not what they need. Listen to what BSD and the others struggling and coping with autism are saying; pay attention to what they are telling you. Your solutions do not project stability or familial strength to them. None of your extreme training, dosing, meditation has provided an ounce of relief to your family, and in that regard you have been about as selfish as a person can be.

You're not on an uncharted course. Others have been down this path. Those that have responded previously have already told you that this won't be an easy task but they have persevered and found the bright moments, not the gloom. You need to get sorted out to be in the proper frame of mind to commit to this properly. Your earlier efforts have all been self serving, regardless of the physical effort you may have put into training for "this". All of that is self absorbed crap. You need to be honest with yourself, get your head out of your a** and recommit to what is right in front of you. Get the help required to sort yourself out so that you can be more to them. Autism isn't the end of the world. It's not some insurmountable mystery disease that causes all joy in a person's life to vanish.

Quit overthinking this. Be a man.
    Last edited by Camo tung; 10-23-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: grammar corrections
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” ― George Orwell

5. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

awndray (10-21-2019), DanN (10-21-2019), Doug_M (10-21-2019), ESnel (10-21-2019), wrencher (10-21-2019)

"But when I'm high it all makes sense. You just wouldn't understand"
    Never heard a burned out stoner say that before...
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Billythreefeathers (10-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Costa Rica.
    What he said. I would not consider Mexico, where you're guilty until proven innocent, an option.
    The Small Fringe Minority: Thank you for your service!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567