Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    9

    Question Transfer certificate or Registration needed for transport?

    Hi Everyone,
    I recently gotten into shooting and got my R/PAL. As a first purchase I went with Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 - Range kit.

    I received my order today with it I got a Buyer Transfer certificate. I am wondering if I need to wait to receive the actual registration or can I transport and use my firearm at the range?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member linung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    #WEXIT
    Posts
    3,039
    Wait.

    Canada Post is slow.

    The transfer approval only allows you to take it home.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH



    I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    9
    Thank Linung. How long is the process for registration? Is it mailed same time as the issuing of transfer certificate?

  4. #4
    Senior Member labradort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by metalninja View Post
    Thank Linung. How long is the process for registration? Is it mailed same time as the issuing of transfer certificate?
    It depends on backlog. It's sent from a different place. In my case they have my email address so the transfer cert is sent there. I've found it is normally within 2 weeks in my region. It's going to be slower this time of the year due to Christmas mail volume. The CFO likely would tell you 4 to 6 weeks as a canned answer since they don't have tabs on what happens at Miramachi and the like.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,477
    You can wait, or you can just go shoot.
    A registration certificate is not a transport document, it's a possession document. Your notice of transfer is a de facto registration certificate until your permanent one arrives.

  6. #6
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    You can wait, or you can just go shoot.
    A registration certificate is not a transport document, it's a possession document. Your notice of transfer is a de facto registration certificate until your permanent one arrives.
    That is 100% not true. Every single time I've called in to the CFC to follow up on a longer than normal transfer for a customer, they remind me that the transfer notice allows me to release the gun to the customer so they can take it home. They then remind me to tell them that they have to wait for the registration certificate before they can take is out to the range (or, leave their home with it for any reason). Now...the odds of getting pulled over or checked at the range by the cops is pretty slim and you MIGHT (likely will) get a pass from the cop if all you have is the transfer notice.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    That is 100% not true. Every single time I've called in to the CFC to follow up on a longer than normal transfer for a customer, they remind me that the transfer notice allows me to release the gun to the customer so they can take it home. They then remind me to tell them that they have to wait for the registration certificate before they can take is out to the range (or, leave their home with it for any reason). Now...the odds of getting pulled over or checked at the range by the cops is pretty slim and you MIGHT (likely will) get a pass from the cop if all you have is the transfer notice.
    Yup, I've heard that responses from the CFO on this issue vary based on province and weather. Still, there is absolutely nothing in the law that allows for a "certificate of bringing a gun home". If the transfer notice is good for bringing the gun home and keeping it until your reg cert arrives, it's good for absolutely every other function of a registration certificate as well.

  8. #8
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    Yup, I've heard that responses from the CFO on this issue vary based on province and weather. Still, there is absolutely nothing in the law that allows for a "certificate of bringing a gun home". If the transfer notice is good for bringing the gun home and keeping it until your reg cert arrives, it's good for absolutely every other function of a registration certificate as well.
    It's a completely useless additional step on the government's part. To the best of my knowledge, no one has EVER received a transfer notice and then not gotten a registration certificate. It's just another way for useless bureaucrats to make us wait a little longer, and keep themselves employed. I'm sure some liberal somewhere has shares in the company that prints the paperwork and mails it.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

  9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

    firemachine69 (12-29-2019), greywolf67nt (12-30-2019), IJ22 (12-24-2019)

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Just left of Sask.
    Posts
    2,817
    Welcome to GOC.
    Have you and everyone you know with a valid email address signed this petition yet? We have to keep those signatures climbing, or you might not have the ability to use that M&P for long.

    https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-2341
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by metalninja View Post
    I am wondering if I need to wait to receive the actual registration or can I transport and use my firearm at the range?
    as this is the first restricted, you will have to wait for:
    1) actual printed certificate
    2) *.0002 version of RPAL card - make sure to keep and carry the CONDITIONS part of the paper it's glued to (or ask CFO for a printed ATT)

    Added: CFO's and CFP's answers to this question may vary, but it all will depend on the decision of the LEO who stopped you.
    It could end with your firearm "arrested" and you will have 14 days to produce paperwork to get it "freed".
    As all certificates (and cards) are printed in batches by CFC and sent out by regular CP mail , it may take more time this season to arrive.

    Up to you to gamble or not .

    PS. My last certificate arrived closer to 3 weeks after TN and the firearm (late November)
    Last edited by sltoronto; 12-24-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •