Wise Sets New Extreme Long-Range World Record

Randy Wise scored three consecutive hits on a 36-inch plate at 2,158 yards to set a new world record at the NRA Extreme Long-Range (ELR) Championship, which took place at Camp Atterbury, IN, in late August. Wise used handloaded ammunition with Berger .338-caliber, 300-grain OTM Tactical Hybrids and Lapua cartridge cases.

The retired machinist from Newark, OH, used his Savage 112 in .338 Lapua Mag. mounted in an Accurate Rifle Systems Chassis. The 26-inch barrel is stock, with a 1:9-inch rate of twist. He used Rempel bipod and installed a Rifle Basics trigger.

To set the new mark Wise had to meet the stringent conditions ELR Central (an organization of ELR competitors) requires for qualification as a record. Those regulations are challenging, even for accomplished marksmen, and allow the firing of only three shots in a 3-minute period. All must impact a target no larger than 36 inches and neither the shooter, nor the rifle, may have fired within the last five hours.

Under these stringent rules, precision and consistent performance are absolute necessities. When asked about his preparation and his choice of handloaded components for the World Record attempt, Wise said, “When I asked around, other shooters recommend that I start with Berger bullets and Lapua cases.”

After more than 60 unsuccessful attempts by fellow competitors to hit the world record target in challenging conditions, Wise set up, checked the wind and signaled officials that he was ready. He fired quickly, spotting his own impacts, and was able to score three hits on the 36-inch plate at more than 1.2 miles within the allowed 3 minutes.

For full results from the NRA Extreme Long-Range Championship, visit NRA’s competitive shooting website, Shooting Sports USA. The website also has more on Wise’s record-setting shots.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...5Nsu5PFgyisMcA

2. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Drache

blacksmithden (09-18-2019), Camo tung (09-18-2019), Hidyn (09-17-2019), kennymo (09-17-2019), road kill (09-17-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-17-2019)

Randy Wise sets a new ELRWorld Record of 2158 yards.
    Aug 26 2019, 1 minute 30 seconds

http://y2u.be/NaDWio6Y3Xs

4. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Hidyn (09-17-2019), Lee Enfield (09-18-2019), road kill (09-17-2019), Swingerguy (09-17-2019), VooDoo (09-17-2019)

Factory barrel is impressive. I had a Rifle Basix trigger in my Stevens 200, it was damn good.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

An essentially stock Savage rifle yet!

Apparently one does not need to spend thousands on a custom rifle to shoot long range precision.

Henry Rempel must be doing OK out of those bipods. I see a buying spree on those things in the near future.

Great shooting.

Have several Savage firearms and they are amazingly accurate. A few years back shot with 4 TAC team snipers and they were very impressed of just how accurate my 10 in .223 was. A couple of the guys tried it and were very impressed.

It is stock with a good scope and came with a Plaster stock.

IMO it is hard to beat a Savage firearm especially when you consider the cost.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Now THIS is a record I can respect. The law of averages starts to come into play when firing 50 rounds to get one hit at a longer distance. 3 consecutive hits is a completely different thing. Congratulations Mr Wise.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Lee Enfield (09-18-2019), Swingerguy (09-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Now THIS is a record I can respect. The law of averages starts to come into play when firing 50 rounds to get one hit at a longer distance. 3 consecutive hits is a completely different thing. Congratulations Mr Wise.
    Three consecutive hits from a cold bore even!

Think of those other 60 people who maybe missed one of their shots and were instantly out of the running.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Drache

Suputin (09-18-2019)

LOVE my Savage Precision Carbine. I even like the stock Accutrigger.