Thread: The EAL Enfield

The EAL Enfield

I just came across one of these interesting No.4 variants today, a buddy from work was gifted one from his dad. While they may look sort of like a Bubba’d Lee, or one of the post war commercial sporter jobs out of England, they were actually made in Toronto from brand new parts supplied by Long Branch. The receivers are extensively milled, with the charger bridge and much else gone. There are a couple versions, buddy’s is a ‘civilian’, retaining the two position peep sight of many wartime LE’s. The front end wears a nice ramp with a commercial dovetail sight. They have a walnut pistol grip stock and a ventilated red rubber butt pad.
    The ‘military’ version is the same, with the exception of having the mount for the rear peep milled off and a two leaf express sight installed near the barrel knox. The military ones also have a five round magazine instead of the traditional ten. They sold about a thousand of them to the RCAF as a ‘light’ survival rifle, with a handful making their way to the Rangers as well.
    Neat little gun. The one I just looked at was early, only the first 1600 were missing ‘cal 303’ stamped on the receiver. Serial is in the low 2500’s. Been reading up for an hour or so....
    This article seems to get most of the details in: https://webpages.uidaho.edu/stratton/EALrifle.htm

Here’s a random image of the military model (with the wrong mag). Apparently these were carried in Hercs for quite some time. They were also one of the last Lee Enfield models built, with EAL continuing production after Longbranch was gone, presumably with the last of the arsenal’s parts stockpile. I’ll see if buddy is OK with me posting some of his pics later.
    CCC8FDAD-E666-4EDF-B057-1A6F1F18B1F8.jpeg
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By kennymo

GTW (09-19-2019), Lee Enfield (09-18-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-18-2019), Stew (09-18-2019)

Have two, one of each version. The military one is drilled and tapped for the scope they could use. Nice rifles and both are safe queens.

Interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I just came across one of these interesting No.4 variants today, a buddy from work was gifted one from his dad. While they may look sort of like a Bubba’d Lee, or one of the post war commercial sporter jobs out of England, they were actually made in Toronto from brand new parts supplied by Long Branch. The receivers are extensively milled, with the charger bridge and much else gone. There are a couple versions, buddy’s is a ‘civilian’, retaining the two position peep sight of many wartime LE’s. The front end wears a nice ramp with a commercial dovetail sight. They have a walnut pistol grip stock and a ventilated red rubber butt pad.
    The ‘military’ version is the same, with the exception of having the mount for the rear peep milled off and a two leaf express sight installed near the barrel knox. The military ones also have a five round magazine instead of the traditional ten. They sold about a thousand of them to the RCAF as a ‘light’ survival rifle, with a handful making their way to the Rangers as well.
    Neat little gun. The one I just looked at was early, only the first 1600 were missing ‘cal 303’ stamped on the receiver. Serial is in the low 2500’s. Been reading up for an hour or so....
    This article seems to get most of the details in: https://webpages.uidaho.edu/stratton/EALrifle.htm

Here’s a random image of the military model (with the wrong mag). Apparently these were carried in Hercs for quite some time. They were also one of the last Lee Enfield models built, with EAL continuing production after Longbranch was gone, presumably with the last of the arsenal’s parts stockpile. I’ll see if buddy is OK with me posting some of his pics later.
    CCC8FDAD-E666-4EDF-B057-1A6F1F18B1F8.jpeg
    There has been a lot more research done since then:

https://sites.google.com/site/essent...d/military-use

5. The Following User Liked This Post By LeeEnfield

Stew (12-25-2019)