Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    LOL, have you even looked at The Skinner site Petamocto ? they show a pic of the dovetail plug, looks exactly like yours, you might have checked, they also recommend a higher front sight and actually sell them

Looks like Petamacto ordered a higher front sight in his original order. Holy crap the bitching about bitching.

Stew, I did order one, my my point is that it seems dumb to make the rear peep sight the way they do if they know it's so high that it will require a different front sight. Just make the rear sight lower, or here's an idea: adjustable.
    I have no signature block.

I'm using a period Lyman peep on a 1948 336 SC with no issues as far as elevation is concerned. No dicking around with the front sight whatsoever.

Lyman rear peep 3030.jpg
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

Petamocto (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Just make the rear sight lower, or here's an idea: adjustable.
    Just an idea, loosen the setscrew in the side and screw the aperature down into the sight?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Unless it's a side mount, it's gonna be real hard to mount a receiver sight to use the same height front sight as a barrel mounted rear sight.
    You got a base and screws that the rear aperature has to clear.

Honestly never heard of any aftermarket receiver sights that can do it, aside from the side mounted ones.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

8. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Stew (10-27-2019)

The more I think about it, the more I don't want to replace the Henry front with a simple tall metal post that I have to file down until it's zeroed.

Before I do that, I'm going to try to Jerry rig a couple different bead options on top of the Henry front post that is already there.

It will definitely add some height, but it won't exactly be super sturdy unless I weld something on.

I'll post back my results when I get a chance, but it won't be for a while because my weekends are now focused on hunting.
    I have no signature block.

I've tried those sights, but for whatever reason I never really liked them. They are unlovely and chunky, then there's the guesswork of figuring out how much front sight you need, which leads to follow up orders or buying bits you don't need to get the bit that you do; the costs adding up.

I prefer the Lyman or Williams receiver sights, or did do before the days of everything having to have a scope
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Petamocto (10-29-2019)

Have one on my stainless Taylor Alaskan Takedown (16" bbl) in 44 Mag.
    This is a gun where a scope would be as out of place as a turd in a swimming pool.
    It's the only iron sight I can use effectively with my 3 score and 10 eyesight.
    Dead on at 20-50 yds for black bear hunting/defense which is what I use it for.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunrunner

Rory McCanuck (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    There are all sorts of other solutions, the easiest being a small drilled in part to fit your punch and then some sort of small cap that fits in there.

Another simpler option. Would be to just make it out of rubber or some other similar material that just slides into place with enough friction to hold it.

Selling something that requires filing and then blueing is dumb.
    Yup, it was really tough.
    Took all of 15 minutes and I was having a "senior" day.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast