Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Any comments for Skinner/peep sights for lever?

Does anyone have any experience with Skinner peep sights for levers?

Over the weekend I shot my Henry 44 Mag lever at an "Anything but AR" match, and I found the horn-based rear sights that it came with to be garbage. I've never noticed a problem before, but I've only ever shot them at 50 and less so I always hit everything, but at the competition they had gongs at the 100-200 range and I only hit about half.

Some people there recommended Skinner peep sights, which are not only better because they're a full circle instead of the buckhorn, they install all the way back on the receiver and not on the barrel, so you get a much longer axis between the rear and front.

The Henry I have is just the regular black one, not the brass one, but I think they're all the same in terms of mounting holes.

176245.jpg

I would appreciate any input on these ones or any other brand of lever rear sights, please.

They come as a replacement (I do not want this)

Imgp0983.jpg

Or the rear receiver mount option (I am leaning toward this)

mi0_864.jpg
    Last edited by Petamocto; 09-23-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    I have no signature block.

I have a Skinner Sight on an 1895 marlin 45/70.
    I find I am way more accurate with it than the original sight.
    Last edited by t_glover; 09-23-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Do you have the receiver mount or just the barrel replacement?

Any advice on where to buy?

Canadian ForcesMember
    I have a couple of the skinner aperture sights and love them. I have both barrel mounted version (on a takedown) and the receiver mounted version experience and I think they are excellent. It didn't take me long to go back and get some of the additional aperture sizes as well - incredibly handy to have options depending on the application.

I order mine directly from the skinner website with no problems and delivered very promptly even though, yes, the shipping costs suck.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Rynnik

Petamocto (09-23-2019)

I have the receiver mount. The barrel mount would not work for my 59 year old eyes.
    23264557341_3b3f7c05f6_b.jpg

Terry

7. The Following User Liked This Post By t_glover

lone-wolf (09-23-2019)

I have a Skinner peep on my old Marlin 39a. The holes to mount it line up perfectly with the tapped scope holes. I find it much easier to use than the buckhorn rear sight, which I just removed.

I'm using the original bead brass front sight, with the hood removed. I found the hood kind of distracting in my sight picture with the peep. Skinner recommends a narrower, blade front sight to get the most out of the peep, but I haven't yet found a blade short enough to match the low bead I have. Anyway, the bead works well enough and for all I know it may even be better for me. I like having the bright brass dot in the middle of the sight picture.

Off a bench with bulk ammo, I can get 2" groups at 50 yards with the peep. So, good enough for a plinker. I may even try it on grouse or squirrels at closer distances.
    If God didn't want holsters to be leather, he wouldn't have made so many damn cows.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Bittereinder

Petamocto (09-23-2019)

I'm reasonably sure you aren't going to hear anyone say anything bad about Skinner sights.
    I've never heard anything but people being ecstatic with their products.
    As for receiver sights in general, I'm a big believer.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

lone-wolf (09-23-2019), Petamocto (09-23-2019)

My 9422m will eventually get a tang sight, the only reason I haven't gotten a skinner sight for it was that I want the old school look of a tang one.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I've taken all of your positive reviews as a good sign and ordered a set.

I had to do it by phone because I couldn't get their PayPal link to work, and I'm also getting a new front post and a steel insert to replace the old rear horns.

The only thing I didn't order was a different aperture size. I'm okay with the average size one for now. Review to follow to close the loop.

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

Rory McCanuck (09-23-2019), Stew (09-23-2019)

Sorry to add another post: If anyone is interested in doing the same, the order came out to $140 USD.

1 x Express Big Boy brass $95, just black was $90, gold and black was $110)

1 x Front post 1/2- .650 blue $18

1 x blank vint blue $8 (this is the little metal insert that replaces the horn sight on the barrel).

Shipping is $19 US, which seems excessive for a small item, but I'm hoping it's worth it in the big picture.

I don't think I'll need the front post, but I'd rather order it now and not need it than find out I do need it and then have to wait more time and pay another large shipping fee.

16. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

Rory McCanuck (09-26-2019)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast