Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've found a place selling for under $1000. I now believe the oddity in the finish I noticed was on the plastic heat shield, not on actual metal. I only touched the wood on it so I didn't understand until I saw a video about taking it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    I've found a place selling for under $1000.
    Can you let the rest of us know where or do they only have 1 in stock?
    Dictionary of the future:
    Global Warming was a popular computer simulation game,
    where the only way to win was not to play.

I have a 583 series ranch rifle. I put a barrel stabilizer on it and a 3x9 Redfield tactical scope.
    I have been shooting reloads with 55 grain Hornady bulk bullets.
    I have found that the Hornady bulk bullets are not as accurate in my other .223 rifles either.
    55 grain bullets are a bit light for a 9" twist. My mini 14 has a 9" twist.

The mini 14 shoots a 4" group at 100 yards with 55 grain Hornady bullets and 3" with Hornady 68 grain match bullets with the odd flyer.
    I have not measured the distance the bullet is off the lands. The mags limit the overall length to 2.270" in the Ruger 5 round mags.
    I suspect being able to load the bullets closer to the lands would help accuracy.
    If I let the barrel cool for a couple minutes between each shot accuracy is better.
    The finish and bluing are nice. Its a fun rifle to shoot.

2CoHkOb.jpg
    Last edited by t_glover; 09-26-2019 at 09:44 AM.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By t_glover

Hidyn (09-28-2019)

Thanks for the mini review. Good to know. I would have thought the twist is harder to induce on a heavier bullet and lighter weights would have no issues coming up to a spin with lower mass reducing inertia. The barrel stabilizer also goes against the usual line of thinking around free floating barrel contributing to accuracy, but of course with the piston action there are things happening here that don't appear in bolt or lever action.

I'll ask what the store stock is like where I found the cheaper one. I am wondering if it might be older model. Bass Pro had the Mini-14 on sale a couple of weeks ago.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By labradort

Doug_M (09-27-2019)

It's been quite a while since the old models were sold, maybe 2008ish?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

OK, I made the purchase. It was $949 for the ranch rifle variety at Nova Tactical. This was likely impacted because they had no box, no manual, no lock, so more like "floor model" deal at a furniture warehouse. They also have the target version with a scope (Redfield maybe?) available. I was a little preoccupied with making the deal and including all the missing bits like a legal way to contain it, having the the 2nd magazine, etc., and so didn't ask if they have more coming in.

The series number began with 583, so I'm good with that.

The sale price at Bass Pro was just over $1000 - so that might come up again. I have not checked the Nova Tactical prices in detail, but just eye balling what they have, it seems they run things a little cheaper than the big stores.

Oh, and the finish issue was definitely on the plastic heat shield not gun metal. On any of my other guns, that area would be barrel, and if so, the type of shine I saw would be weird.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By labradort

Doug_M (09-28-2019), Hidyn (09-28-2019)

Dose anyone in Canada carry the factory 5/20 mags? I find the factory 5 rounders lacking in length and can be a little clumsy getting them locked into the rifle.

Have them imported by aztech or irunguns, otherwise you're gonna get hosed on them. $50cad import vs $80+ from dealers.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12