Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap arrows?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cheap arrows?

This video came up in my recommended feed the other night. Pretty interesting, because I shoot budget arrows.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Grizz Axxemann

lone-wolf (09-27-2019)

Not an archery guy but still interesting info.

What kind of cheap arrows are you using Grizz? I picked up a recurve bow last fall but haven't gotten arrows or a target yet, so aside from losing one arrow, I haven't used it yet.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    What kind of cheap arrows are you using Grizz? I picked up a recurve bow last fall but haven't gotten arrows or a target yet, so aside from losing one arrow, I haven't used it yet.
    I use Carbon Express Adrenaline 350s. They're pre-fletched with inserts installed. The 150s (.500 spine) and 250s (.400 spine) are 30" long, and the 350s (.350 spine) are 31" long. My hunting setup weighs in at about 460 grains per arrow, delivering 88 ft lbs of energy at about 295fps (calculated.) I haven't calculated the numbers on the Stalkers yet, but they look promising. They're a little lighter in shaft weight since they've been cut to 30" and have a lower gpi from the start, and I don't know what the inserts, nocks or vanes weigh (yes, it all factors in) but they should fly a bit faster. But without knowing the weights of the guts, and knowing that the shaft weight is within .10 grains per inch, it's probably a wash when you calculate the kinetic energy.

The trick is to select an arrow based on your draw weight and length. The higher the weight/longer the draw, the stiffer the spine you want, for the most part. Factor in the length of the arrow and the spine will behave differently based on different lengths, getting stiffer as it gets shorter. Too much spine and you'll lose accuracy, too little spine and you'll eventually blow arrows apart. Carbon fiber shrapnel and splinters are a bad day from what I'm told. There's a page on Easton's website that does a great job of explaining it all.

If you have a bow shop nearby it might be worth the drive to head over there and talk to the bow techs. I just don't trust the staff at CT or Cabela's that much to know their stuff. Sure, you get the rare gem, but stick to the smaller bow shops. Odds are better that the staff there eat, breathe and sleep archery. Of course, bring your rig with you, most shops (at least every single bow shop I've ever walked in to, save for one) have an indoor range. They might have some demo arrows you can try out.

I'm still on the hunt for a block or bag that can stop one of my arrows from 10 feet. I'd love to set up across the living room just to work on my form. It would scare the crap outta the cats, and probably drive Missy nuts, but unless I buy one of those rather pricey trainers, I'm stuck either burning gas to go to the cabin, the gun club, or one of the bow shops in town, then paying said bow shop $15 for an hour or so of time.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    I use Carbon Express Adrenaline 350s. They're pre-fletched with inserts installed. The 150s (.500 spine) and 250s (.400 spine) are 30" long, and the 350s (.350 spine) are 31" long. My hunting setup weighs in at about 460 grains per arrow, delivering 88 ft lbs of energy at about 295fps (calculated.) I haven't calculated the numbers on the Stalkers yet, but they look promising. They're a little lighter in shaft weight since they've been cut to 30" and have a lower gpi from the start, and I don't know what the inserts, nocks or vanes weigh (yes, it all factors in) but they should fly a bit faster. But without knowing the weights of the guts, and knowing that the shaft weight is within .10 grains per inch, it's probably a wash when you calculate the kinetic energy.

The trick is to select an arrow based on your draw weight and length. The higher the weight/longer the draw, the stiffer the spine you want, for the most part. Factor in the length of the arrow and the spine will behave differently based on different lengths, getting stiffer as it gets shorter. Too much spine and you'll lose accuracy, too little spine and you'll eventually blow arrows apart. Carbon fiber shrapnel and splinters are a bad day from what I'm told. There's a page on Easton's website that does a great job of explaining it all.

If you have a bow shop nearby it might be worth the drive to head over there and talk to the bow techs. I just don't trust the staff at CT or Cabela's that much to know their stuff. Sure, you get the rare gem, but stick to the smaller bow shops. Odds are better that the staff there eat, breathe and sleep archery. Of course, bring your rig with you, most shops (at least every single bow shop I've ever walked in to, save for one) have an indoor range. They might have some demo arrows you can try out.

I'm still on the hunt for a block or bag that can stop one of my arrows from 10 feet. I'd love to set up across the living room just to work on my form. It would scare the crap outta the cats, and probably drive Missy nuts, but unless I buy one of those rather pricey trainers, I'm stuck either burning gas to go to the cabin, the gun club, or one of the bow shops in town, then paying said bow shop $15 for an hour or so of time.
    I don't do pointed sticks but my buddy who does suggested this, stacked corrugated cardboard, says it will stop from 10 feet
    3_Cardboard_target.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I don't do pointed sticks but my buddy who does suggested this, stacked corrugated cardboard, says it will stop from 10 feet
    3_Cardboard_target.jpg
    What velocity is he shooting? I live in a rental, and the last thing I want is over-penetration. I'm driving through an 18" foam block target as it is. Not near as bad as my dad with his crossbow, but I'm driving my arrows pretty hard.

Last cheap arrow I got was from Princess Auto. I think it was like 7 or 8 bucks for 5. I picked them up to make a reloader for my Henry.
    Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

I shoot the least expensive Easton hunting arrows. I’m thinking they’re pretty damn similar to the Cabela’s by Easton seen here. Dinner plate at 60 yards outdoors. Pretty damn good for a guy who doesn’t practise enough.... The neighbour is a bit more of a fanatic and can manage the same size group at 80 yards with the Easton FMJ’s. They are a damn good arrow, but I think the extra $$$ per shaft would be lost on me.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Oh yea, the local taxidermy/hunting shop is owned by this guy, so I'm definitely going to be picking his brain and joining his club once I get onto the fundamentals.
    https://archerycanada.ca/archery-can...ralympic-team/
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

11. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Grizz Axxemann (09-29-2019)

I briefly shot at the archery club at the Air Force base here. They used cardboard slices sandwiched in a 2x4 frame, with threaded rod and washers to set the tension. Worked well, labour intensive but cheap to replace when they started to get shot out.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast