Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Archery for a beginner, what to buy?

Hey guys,

As a kid I used to toy around with a bow. I think I had a couple of lessons either in gym class or could have been at Scouts, can't really remember now. I then had a cheap recurve for a couple years that I played around with on the farm.

Anyway, I am now in the process of joining a range that has a good archery range attached. I already have a crossbow, so at least I will finally be able to practice with that a bit, but now I am thinking about trying my hand at archery again.

So, if I go down this route, what should I buy?

At first it would just be for targets. I do hunt sometimes though, so I might consider bow hunting in the future (turkey or grouse, not deer).

Recurve or compound?

What sort of weight of pull should a beginner get -- I don't need a lot of power as I don't intend to hunt large game with it.

And I will likely have to go to a decent bow shop to have it setup for me? What is a decent bow shop in Southern Ontario?

Thanks

Id go with a recurve, and get something that you CAN hunt large game with.
    Not only to have the option, but for resale if you decide its not for you.

Triggers and Bows, and The Bow shop @ shooters choice are both decent places.

With a (takedown at least) recurve you can get lighter limbs so you can train and get good form before stepping up the heavier hunting ones.

I need to hit up the local bow shop and get some arrows. Had mine for a couple years now and never got around to using it.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Start with a recurve if you're shooting targets. Compounds are cool, but there's a lot going on (I learn something new about my bow every day, but I'm also learning to do a lot of the work on it myself, just so I don't have to drive an hour to the city and pay someone to do it.)

30ish pound draw should do you pretty good to start. I think you can get recurve limbs up to 60 or more, but I don't really pay attention to the "arcane" stuff. And for the love of god, use a glove or finger tab at minimum, lest you like having nerve damage.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Buy some more lessons first before you start buying gear.
    Know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin command here.

6. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By Edward Teach

Aniest (09-01-2020), Big-Boss-Man (09-01-2020), Candychikita (09-05-2020), Macds (08-06-2020), Stew (09-01-2020), Swampdonkey (08-06-2020), Swingerguy (08-06-2020), Turtlehead (08-07-2020)

Great idea Mr Teach.
    Try some different stuff out (take some lessons), and see what you like.

Go to an archery shop(not a shop that sells bows like Crappy Tire) and get fitted. Do not buy any bow with a draw weight that is more than you can easily lift a box of that weight. Shooting a bow uses muscles not used for anything else. Arrows must be the right length for you as well.
    Get some upper body exercise too.
    Have a look here. https://www.peelarchery.ca/
    Check the Hunting Regs about a bow for birds. No idea about turkeys. Grouse isn't likely but I don't know for sure. Grouse don't always sit and wait. They usually thunder out from under your feet in pairs with one going East and the other West at high speed and jinking like an AIM 9 was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
    Buy some more lessons first before you start buying gear.
    this totally. I borrowed a bow and realized I prefer crossbow, I would've been screwed had I forked out $1000 + on a bow to find out it wasn't for me -for hunting at least- but then I spent more than that on my Crossbow setup to not take it out hunting lol

Bladesmith
    I would suggest a used compound. Compound bow shooters tend to switch up gear often and used bows go pretty reasonable, especially when the new models come out. Most people catch on quickly and shoot more consistently with a compound than a recurve. Instinctive shooting is a whole other thing. Trying to get the basics of proper form, drawing and releasing consistently is a challenge no need to add another challenge until later. I shoot both instinctively and with a decked out compound. I prefer the instinctive shooting but it takes more time than I have for me to hunt big game.

As others have stated, get to a archery range with some instruction. I’m a compound kinda guy but want to stretch out the last yard, just don’t be obsessed with the FPS sticker. Once your fitted and have your draw length figured out get a bow with a forgiving valley, may I suggest an Elite bow. Mine is beautiful to shoot from a stand, I also bought a a PSE Full Throttle as I went after every last FPS, and while it is a very nice accurate and nasty fast rig it is miserable if your form isn’t perfect. The valley is so shallow, even rotating around in the stand at full draw requires all your attention, one slip in form and it wants to take your shoulder out of it’s socket......

Have fun and enjoy, it is a fantastic sport!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast